News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Inhaled food?

littlebugs - Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:15 am

Hi,
I'm 37 years old , generally in good health. While I was eating some bread and salad (with seeds) a few days ago, I choked on my food and it went down the wrong way. I started coughing and choking terribly (but could still breathe) and managed to cough some of it up, but I was left with the distinct feeling that some remained. I ended up going to the ER, still coughing and sputtering, and they listened to my lungs and said they sounded ok, and to wait a few days and see how I feel. I do feel better, but I still have some irritation and coughing, and I still feel that there is something in my lungs on the rights side (hard to describe...).

I just wanted to know: what, if anything, should I do about this? Should I just wait it out a few more days, or go back to the doctor? thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:48 am

User avatar Hi littlebugs,
The symptoms you are experiencing may be related to the irritation itself. Generally speaking, after aspiration of food into the lungs symptoms may range from shortness of breath, coughing, elevated heart rate, persistent cough which may be productive of sputum, wheezing, fever. Aside from a physical exam, a chest xray is the typical diagnostic tool to identify if aspiration pneumonia is the factor.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here