Question: Inhaled food?

littlebugs - Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:15 am

I'm 37 years old , generally in good health. While I was eating some bread and salad (with seeds) a few days ago, I choked on my food and it went down the wrong way. I started coughing and choking terribly (but could still breathe) and managed to cough some of it up, but I was left with the distinct feeling that some remained. I ended up going to the ER, still coughing and sputtering, and they listened to my lungs and said they sounded ok, and to wait a few days and see how I feel. I do feel better, but I still have some irritation and coughing, and I still feel that there is something in my lungs on the rights side (hard to describe...).

I just wanted to know: what, if anything, should I do about this? Should I just wait it out a few more days, or go back to the doctor? thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:48 am

User avatar Hi littlebugs,
The symptoms you are experiencing may be related to the irritation itself. Generally speaking, after aspiration of food into the lungs symptoms may range from shortness of breath, coughing, elevated heart rate, persistent cough which may be productive of sputum, wheezing, fever. Aside from a physical exam, a chest xray is the typical diagnostic tool to identify if aspiration pneumonia is the factor.

|