News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Slight pain on side of chest and armpit

chrisjd1116 - Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:41 am

I have a slight pain that feels like a sun burn starting on the side of my chest, in my armpit, and part of my shoulder. It's mostly just on my left side and I don't think that it would be sun burn since I haven't been around much uv rays.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:27 pm

User avatar Hello,

Neuropathy is a possible cause for your symptoms. This is due to nerve or nerve root irritation (e.g. disc prolapse or Thoracic outlet syndrome) which results in burning sensation in the parts of the body supplies by these nerves. Neurological examination is essential.

This could also be due to Dermatitis.
Contact dermatitis occurs due to skin contact with a substance that causes an allergic reaction (allergic contact dermatitis)
or with an irritant substances (irritant contact dermatitis).

There are many causes for contact Dermatitis some involve irritants such as soaps, certain creams and some may be due to allergy.

Avoiding the causing substance is the mainstay of prevention in addition to medications prescribed by your doctor.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
 chrisjd1116 - Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:07 pm

could it be caused by deodorant
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:08 pm

User avatar Hello,

Any chemical irritant can cause dermatitis including certain deodorant.

Keep us updated.
 chrisjd1116 - Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:25 pm

well I've used the same brand of deodarant for about 3 years now and haven't gotten a new stick of deodarant lately. I haven't changed laundry detergent either.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:48 am

User avatar Hello,

First of all, if we assumed that your symptoms are due to dermatitis, then If you have been using the same type of deodorant and no thing similar happened before, it is probably due to exposure to something else , may be certain type of tissues or soap, etc.
In most of the cases who has dermatitis itching and slight redness in the affected area is part of there complain.

Second do not forget that we did not exclude neuropathy pain.
I advise you Follow with you doctor and keep us updated.
 chrisjd1116 - Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:34 pm

I went to my doctor today and he said that it was shingles
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:28 am

User avatar Hello,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

Shingle is due to reactivation of the varicella-zoster virus (the virus causes chickenpox), in the dorsal root ganglia when the immune system is lowered , e.g. during periods of stress.

Typically patients with shingles present with a painful, blistering rash along dermatome of the affected nerve, however, the pain may starts a few days before the appearance of the rash (preherpetic neuralgia).

The rash starts as reddish bumps that turn into blisters in few days. The blisters usually crust over and fall off in 7 - 10 days while the pain may last longer.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here