Question: Strange consistent pain

RHoover - Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:52 pm

I am a 40 year old female. I am a runner and average 20 miles a week. I also work out with weights at least twice a week, and try to do one Bikram Yoga session a week. I eat VERY healthy; low fat and no processed foods. I try to eat a wide variety of fruits and veggies. I am 5'9" and weight about 135. Today (just 1/2 hour or so ago...) I began having a pain. It's just barely on the right side of my chest (almost in the middle, but underneath my right breast on the left side of it). The pain comes for a few seconds and leaves. I'm not sure how to describe, except maybe as a slight burning? It has been coming and going like that for 1/2 hour and is still happening. Not really painful, just there. It comes every minute or so. I have never felt this before. Should I be concerned?

I have had no real medical problems, and my cholesterol and blood pressure are VERY good.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:22 pm

It would have been more helpful if you described more the character of this pain and if there are any other related symptoms or signs. However I would give you a general idea about what it could be.

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves. They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

It could be due to:

- Muscle spasm alone can cause this pain which can be an unidentified cause but in many cases is the result of inappropriate posture for long time like traveling, driving and certain types of work.

Self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of Analgesics, cold or hot therapy. Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

If these measures fail to relief the pain or to improve symptoms in 48 hours, you should visit your doctor for better evaluation and for exclusion of other causes that need specific therapy.

- Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, which is a double-layered membrane covers the lungs separating it from the rib cage. Viral infections like flu, are the most common cause of Pleurisy. The pain is felt as sharp pain which get worse by Coughing, sneezing, moving and deep breathing. auscultation of the chest shows a characteristic sound known as pleural rub.

- Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis and Gastric ulcer, gall bladder disease, GER.

Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of Chest pain although it is likely to be in your case.
 RHoover - Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:59 pm

My apologies.. I am having trouble describing the pain itself. It deosn't worsen (or lessen) with breathing or activity. It remains very consistent for the few seconds it lasts. Since I posted it is happening less frequently (or I have grown used to it?). In either case, I am not as worried as I was when it first started. I can't think of anything I have done that might have caused it... no sudden movement or out of the norm. physical activity. I am not experiencing any other symptoms, just the brief burning-like sensation on the right side that last for a few seconds each time. I have not been sick (cold or flu) in years, and feel absolutely wonderful otherwise. Thanks for your response.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:24 pm

It is more likely then to be of GI origin, I advise you to observe well any associated symptoms suggestive of GI, bowel habit changes or following ingestion of certain types of food(spicy, chocolate, cola etc.

Muscle pain is still another possibility.
Keep us updated.

|