Question: Sharp pain in both lungs for two weeks

mattsiegel - Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:10 am

I am a 28 year-old man and have been experiencing sharp pain in both of my lungs for about two weeks. I been smokingfor about 15 years and smoke approximately 15 a day. Each lung has several points that are experiencing a quite constant sharp pain, as though they have been cut or wounded in some way. When I lie on my side or lift myself in bed with my arms the pain is exacerbated. I have also been experiencing insomnia and pretty heavy night sweats during this period as well. I am becoming quite concerned. I also have some shortness of breath, but mostly when exerting myself.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:32 pm

- It sounds like muscle spasm is the cause of your symptoms.

Muscle spasm alone can cause this pain which can be an unidentified cause but in many cases is the result of a body reaction to injury in tissues like Flu, inappropriate posture for long time like traveling, driving and certain types of work that results in muscle fatigue.

Self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of Analgesics, cold or hot therapy. Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

Other causes should be excluded like:

- Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, which is a double-layered membrane covers the lungs separating it from the rib cage. Viral infections like flu, are the most common cause of Pleurisy. The pain is felt as sharp pain which get worse by Coughing, sneezing, moving and deep breathing. auscultation of the chest shows a characteristic sound known as pleural rub.

- Other chest causes and Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of Chest pain.

Direct clinical examination is essential, I advise you to follow with your doctor.
Keep us updated,

|