News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: walking pneumonia

blairbodie - Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:54 pm

How long should I wait before resuming strenuous cardio vascular activity after being diagnosed with walking pneumonia?
I am a 29 year old female dancer and Pilates instructor. I still am coughing, but the spells are less frequent. I have been on Clarithromycin and methylprednisolone tablets for three days. I have had pneumonia once before.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:23 pm

User avatar Hello,

Walking pneumonia is terminology used to describe certain types of pneumonia in which the affected persons can continue his activity and do not have to rest in bed.

They on the other hand can cause severe persistent (dry) cough, fever, chills, headache, and abdominal pain.

The causative organism is Mycoplasma pneumonia which is responsible for majority of community-acquired pneumonia.
Dry cough may last for 6 weeks or more as the organism destroy the cilia of the bronchi and their regeneration takes time.

Antibiotics taken in Mycoplasma infections may be prescribed for 5 to 7 days.

I would advise you to consult your doctor about the appropriate therapy duration for your case.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here