News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Lump on left side of ribs

bunny143 - Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:58 am

I am a 23 year old female who was diagnosed with Costochondritis about 3 years ago. Within the past few days my ribs have been hurting alot and I noticed a lump on the left side of my ribs that has never been there before. I went to the Dr. and she said that I have a Hiatel Hernia, but i don't have any acid reflux or any of the other symptoms of a Hiatel Hernia. I think there is something else wrong with me. It hurts when I bend over. It hurts when I take a deep breath and even when I lay a certain way it'll start hurting. I don't know of any family members who have had similar symptoms. And I am currently taking Lo-Ovral. I was taking 600mg of ibuprofen for my pain, but the Dr. told me to stop taking it. Can you please help me figure out what the lump on my ribs could be?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:57 pm

User avatar Hello,

Costochondritis results from inflammation of the cartilage where ribs attach to (the sternum) the breast bone. It may affects more than one cartilage area on both sides of the sternum but usually one side is affected.

In Tietze syndrome, a condition that affects same area and. Costochondritis is causes similar clinical picture but associated with swelling on the affected area. On examination there is also redness, tenderness, and heat.

On Labs:
ESR, C-Reactive Protein Test are typically high in patients with Tietze syndrome.

Rest, anti-inflammatory drugs, physical therapy are helpful for both costochondritis and Tietze syndrome.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
I advise you to follow with your doctor.
Keep us updated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here