Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Lump on left side of ribs

bunny143 - Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:58 am

I am a 23 year old female who was diagnosed with Costochondritis about 3 years ago. Within the past few days my ribs have been hurting alot and I noticed a lump on the left side of my ribs that has never been there before. I went to the Dr. and she said that I have a Hiatel Hernia, but i don't have any acid reflux or any of the other symptoms of a Hiatel Hernia. I think there is something else wrong with me. It hurts when I bend over. It hurts when I take a deep breath and even when I lay a certain way it'll start hurting. I don't know of any family members who have had similar symptoms. And I am currently taking Lo-Ovral. I was taking 600mg of ibuprofen for my pain, but the Dr. told me to stop taking it. Can you please help me figure out what the lump on my ribs could be?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:57 pm

Costochondritis results from inflammation of the cartilage where ribs attach to (the sternum) the breast bone. It may affects more than one cartilage area on both sides of the sternum but usually one side is affected.

In Tietze syndrome, a condition that affects same area and. Costochondritis is causes similar clinical picture but associated with swelling on the affected area. On examination there is also redness, tenderness, and heat.

On Labs:
ESR, C-Reactive Protein Test are typically high in patients with Tietze syndrome.

Rest, anti-inflammatory drugs, physical therapy are helpful for both costochondritis and Tietze syndrome.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
I advise you to follow with your doctor.
Keep us updated.

|