Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Extremely Bad Coughing

sdj5150 - Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:03 pm

For about a month now i have been suffering from a nagging cough. It doesnt so much feel like a lung thing but more like something is tickling my throat constantly. I have had fits of coughing so bad that i vomited, or dry heaved. I cannot seem to arrest the cough with over te counter medicines. I have visited my family doctor, and after checking my ears nose and throat, and listening to my lungs he said i should be fine in five days. He also recommended that i get some over the counter cough medicine. I find it hard to believe that if i have had this for a month and it hasen't gotten better, i doubt it will in five more days. My body is so drained now from all the coughing, and i have a throbbing headach that worsens with every cough. Some of my other symptoms include, a flu that i got during the second week and lasted for 3 days (103 degree temp). I have also had some dry sweats, a little disoriented feeling, loss of appetite (have lost about 5+ pounds), runny nose, stuffed up nose, and Flem does come up when i cough.
The things i have been taking (without results) are:
Claritin
Sudafed - Nasal decongestant
Cough Drops - lemon and honey (no menthol)
Antihistamines - not sure of the brand
Tylenol - for headaches

My doctor said five days, but five days is like hell

Is it really nothing, and will it be gone in five days? or should i be worried about something else? i have never had something this bad
 baroneb - Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:27 pm

I have been suffering from similar conditions. My doctor gave me Robistussin AC the prescription stuff, antibiotics and an inhaler. After I started taking the medication I started spitting up blood. I got scared went back to the doctor. He did x-rays and blood tests all were normal actually he said for a smoker the results were exceptional. I have stopped smoking although believe it or not when I smoked I did't cough as much. I still have this cough so you are not alone all your symtoms I have. No idea what it is and neither does the doctor. Let me know if you get any good guesses. I also heard someone else with similar problems, his doctor called it the 100 day cough??????????

Take care my friend.
 midgit16 - Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:49 am

I have the same problems as you guys accept a few mine has only been here a week. I recently read and heard that you can have a heart attack or a rib fractured from coughing so hard and so much. so i would continue to go to the doctor.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:58 pm

User avatar Chronic cough can have many, many causes. To better help you we will need to know a few more specifics, such as your age, sex, and any other chronic medical conditions/medications.

The top causes for chronic cough not commonly thought of are 1) Recurrent viral infections
2) Gastroesophageal reflux
3) Medication side effects

In regards to the 100 days cough, this is a name for an infection commonly known as whooping cough. This is caused by Pertussis. It is referred to as the 100 days cough because the cough can go on for a few months.

Hope this helps. Let us know a little more and I'll try to be more specific.

|