Question: LEft Side chest Pian

sockie1972 - Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:22 pm

Hello I'm a 34 yr old male non-smoker 6'0" 206lbs.
For the past month or so i have had chest pain in or under my left chest area, sometimes the pain moves to my neck or jaw but only there for a few moments but the chest pain is left. For the past week i've been really lite headed and on again off agian headaches lasting very long times. Now i'm on medicine Lopid for my high Triglycerin’s (740 first test) and (830 second test) my Cholesterol is around 244. I've cut back on sugars and fatty foods but the pain won't go away. Any one have any thoughts and should i be worried. ALso when climbing stairs i get winded real easy and i thought io was some one in shape and not over weight by any means.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:22 pm

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves.
They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

- Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of Chest pain especially if the pain is similar to that caused by cardiac ischemia although less likely to be the cause in your case (young age with no risk factors and no typical symptoms). Some other cardiac causes like Mitral valve prolapse give pain that may be similar to that of ischemic heart disease and is usually associated with palpitation. These conditions should be investigated by ECG, stress ECG, Echocradiography and Cardiac catheter if needed.

-Muscle spasm alone can cause this pain which can be an unidentified cause but in many cases is the result of viral infection, inappropriate posture for long time like traveling, driving and certain types of work.

-Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis and Gastric ulcer, gall bladder disease, GER.

Regarding the Vertigo, or dizziness sensation when climbing, it is usually a result of problems in the inner or neurovascular disorder like postural hypotension. It is probably a separate problem not related to the chest pain

Direct clinical examination is essential.
I advise you to follow with your Doctor for proper management.

|