Question: chest / back pain due to acidity?

ramesh babu - Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:24 am

I have been emotionally unstable / stressful / fearful.

I had spasms in the middle of the chest after sitting for 5-10 minutes inn latrine, which used to disappear with a crack sound after I shake my chest a little with. I also had acidity/gastric (?) problem and earlier which was limited to farting in addition to back pain (cannot sit continuously for more than 15 minutes – pain on upper back on both sides)– which I still have sometimes - and did not take any medicine.

- one evening I started feeling of throbbing / palpitation in the upper side of the chest, which I could feel the tremors / pulsation, which could be seen with eyes in addition to palpitation / precipitation in both the hands, back and at other points of legs including throbbing/palpitation on temples of forehead and spasms in the right side of the chest.

- In this connection, I went to doctor (1) in government hospital on 14.10.2006 who tested my BP – which was 130/90 - and advised to restrict salt intake and prescribed Benedryl syrup and one Zivit capsule. But the gas and palpitation throbbing were there.

- On 30.10.2006 I again went to (another) doctor (2) in the same hospital with same complaints as above in addition to right side chest congestion and throbbing / palpitation on temples. She told it could be due to acidity and advised me to go for a walk for an hour daily and prescribed Seczole DS tablet and Digene syrup (for acidity). It could also not give me much relief.

- Went to doctor (1) on 10.11.2006 with the same complaints. He prescribed 5 Alprazolam capsules in addition to digene syrup. I could feel better for a week.

- In the meantime I started walking for 20-30 minutes daily and drastically decreased salt intake.

- Went to doctor (2) on 21.11.2006 with same complaints in addition to spasm/congestion in right side of the chest and palpitation/throbbing on both the temples and hands and sometimes cheeks and lips. She measured my BP which was 140/90 and prescribed Omeprazole capsules + alprazolom for three weeks and asked me to under go Hb, S. Cholesterol and Blood Sugar tests. Further she referred me to specialist.

The report of the tests are as under:
Hb - 14.0 gm
Blood Sugar - 96 mg%
S. Cholesterol- 162 mgm or % (?)

The doctors said these are perfectly normal.

- Went to Specialist on 23.11.2006 with same complaints in addition to slight pain around the heart (due to walking?). He asked me whether my job was stressful as I am a bit stressful and anxious with an infant. He checked up my chest and back and told there seems no heart problem. BP was 140/90. Chest : no abnormality detected.

- Asked me to stop smoking; go on walking; Salt restricted diet – for one month – in addition to Paracetamol tablet (SOS) and external ointment if pains (for a week).

AFTER THAT

- Taking Omeprazole and Alprazolan capsules regularly with paracetamol occasionally.
- Continuous throbbing / palpitation on left temple (occasionally, left cheek and lips) in day time and elsewhere also sometimes in other parts of the body (including the tip of the penis, rarely)
- Upper Back pain in sitting posture about more than 10-15 minutes
- Slight spasm in the right side chest ranging from middle point of the right chest to shoulder bone to lower neck
- Very slight pain on right side of the chest when on that side for sometime and/or lifting weights.
NOW

- on the very day that I went to the Specialist, I started feeling pain in my left upper chest, precisely that’s traveling around the heart. I don’t know whether its due to my walking or the enhancement of gas. I feel the pain on left chest particularly day-time. I did not feel it when I work or walk. After a two-day brisk walk I started pain on neck. After some minutes it disappeared.
- With all these problems, I went to a private Chest Specialist on 27.11.2006 with explaining all these complaints, who in turn told that it could be due to the enthusiastic brisk walk, myopia chest. He advised Chest-P X-ray, ECG, Chest-l x-ray which turned out normal (the technical at ECG told that some irregularity was there but otherwise almost and further asked to consult cardiologist!) First the chest specialist prescribed Ocid, Cobadex fate, Nucoxica, Volini gel for 7 days. But I went with the test results the next day. He examined the X-ray and told that its not clear so that I should get HT-CT Scan Chest test done (which I cannot bear) with prescribing Tramadol, Nucoxia, Belriesol, Parbodac, Ocid and Equirex to take twice a day. I took two doses but it was intoxicating and left them. But I felt that there was no pain. He further advised not to walk or do any exercise but other docts insist on walking/exercise.
- The next day I went to the dispensary where the doctor again told that they are all waste and asked me to continue what she prescribed earlier, omeprazol, alprazolom and syrup atonic constipation. For last 10 days I am having constipation. Thereafter the case is same.
- The first reason Gas seems to be reducing. But the occasional pain on left upper chest, precipitation of blood all over the body, palpitation/vibration/numbness in left cheek, left temple and occasionally on lips (left), forehead continues in addition to recent (today) occasional pricking pain (for a second or two) in the middle of chest and discomfort.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT BY ADVISING

- WHAT EXACTLY IS MY PROBLEM
- IS IT HEART-RELATED?
- IS IT LUNG RELATED?
- IS IT GASTRIC RELATED OR ANYTHING ELSE
- IS IT DUE TO STRESS/ANXIETY
- CAN B.P. BE CURABLE?
- SHOULD I UNDER GO FURTHER TESTS, IF YES, WHAT KIND OF TESTS

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:29 pm

Your symptoms could be due to:

-In appropriate contraction of the throat or esophageal muscles due to esophagitis or (motility disorders) causes
- Chest pain that can be severe and sometimes is felt as a tightness in the chest with difficult swallowing and bad breathing.

-Acid reflux causes severe pain and discomfort in the chest especially in the morning, tightness in the throat, dry Cough and Shortness of breath.

Stress and smoking can increase these symptoms. Certain foods as well are known to aggravate all these conditions, and you better avoid them. These include chocolate, beverages containing caffeine, fatty and fried foods, garlic and onions, spicy and tomato containing foods.

Other causes include:

- Gastritis due to H pylori or Drug induced (NSAID)
or gastric ulcer.

- IBS may also give similar clinical picture, like
Abdominal pain or colic

- Psychological or emotional stress and Anxiety, in these cases the diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes.

Cardiac causes are excluded as you have reported.

Keep us updated.

|