Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Chest Pain

UNPREDICTABLE81 - Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:30 pm

I'm a 25 year old woman with a little over weight. Lately in the past 3 days I have been feeling chest pain and I thought it will go away like other times but no it haven't. I still feel it and now its with a heat sensation. Lot of my family suffer of diabetes, heart disease, high and low blood pressure and cancer. I'm not drinking any medication. Even when i called my doctor I have an appointment in January.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:05 pm

It would have been more helpful if you described more the character of this pain and if there are any other related symptoms or signs. However I would give you a general idea about what it could be.

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves. They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

- Muscle spasm alone can cause pain which can be an unidentified cause but in many cases is the result of infections(viral), inappropriate posture for long time like traveling, driving and certain types of work.

Self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of Analgesics, cold or hot therapy. Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

- Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, which is a double-layered membrane covers the lungs separating it from the rib cage. Viral infections like flu, are the most common cause of Pleurisy. The pain is felt as sharp pain which get worse by Coughing, sneezing, moving and deep breathing. auscultation of the chest shows a characteristic sound known as pleural rub.

- Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis and Gastric ulcer, gall bladder disease, GER.

-Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of Chest pain although it is unlikely to be in your case (young age, non typical symptoms).

Direct clinical examination is essential.

|