News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Weird feeling in chest

raffi007 - Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:31 am

Hi there.I'm 24 y/o male.. I've been experiencing some odd symptoms which have bugged me for a few months now. I'm getting this strange deep itch/tickle sensation on the left side of my chest, under the bottom rib towards the center of the chest. I do not have a cough, but when I do I get a dry feeling in the lung, sometimes a little hoarse. I noticed i do feel it a little bit in my back as well, just under the left shoulder blade. I'm also experiencing some weakness in my left leg, especially the knee , sometimes twitching but nothing overwhleming. Once in a while it burns after I urinate and my eyes have been glassy sometimes red .. something just doesn't feel right and my body feels fatigued,.. i do have GERD but im not so sure if this is related to it .. I've had an EGD, EKG, Chest x-ray, chest CT scan, abdominal ultrasound, and CBC blood test. all came back clear. any ideas what this coulld be from?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:46 pm

User avatar Hello,

-Sometimes chest pain is not originating from the chest itself, instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include gastritis and gastric ulcer, gall bladder disease, GERD.

Esophagitis is a known complication of GERD and can lead to esophageal spasm.

People with GERD may present with:
Chest pain,
Pain in the throat,
Morning hoarseness, and
Discomfort in the chest
Others may experience a feeling like the food stuck in their throat or tightness in the throat, dry Cough and Shortness of breath similar to Asthma. These symptoms are mainly due to inflammation of the esophagus(esophagitis)

Stress and smoking can increase these symptoms. Certain foods as well are known to aggravate the condition, and you better avoid them.

-Psychological or emotional stress and Anxiety, are additive factors.

-Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of Chest pain as your doctor has done.

Hope you find this information useful.
Best regards.
 raffi007 - Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:12 pm

Thank you Dr. Mahmoud. I appreciate the oppurtunity and will keep you posted! :) Have a great new year!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here