Question: Weird feeling in chest

raffi007 - Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:31 am

Hi there.I'm 24 y/o male.. I've been experiencing some odd symptoms which have bugged me for a few months now. I'm getting this strange deep itch/tickle sensation on the left side of my chest, under the bottom rib towards the center of the chest. I do not have a cough, but when I do I get a dry feeling in the lung, sometimes a little hoarse. I noticed i do feel it a little bit in my back as well, just under the left shoulder blade. I'm also experiencing some weakness in my left leg, especially the knee , sometimes twitching but nothing overwhleming. Once in a while it burns after I urinate and my eyes have been glassy sometimes red .. something just doesn't feel right and my body feels fatigued,.. i do have GERD but im not so sure if this is related to it .. I've had an EGD, EKG, Chest x-ray, chest CT scan, abdominal ultrasound, and CBC blood test. all came back clear. any ideas what this coulld be from?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:46 pm

-Sometimes chest pain is not originating from the chest itself, instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include gastritis and gastric ulcer, gall bladder disease, GERD.

Esophagitis is a known complication of GERD and can lead to esophageal spasm.

People with GERD may present with:
Chest pain,
Pain in the throat,
Morning hoarseness, and
Discomfort in the chest
Others may experience a feeling like the food stuck in their throat or tightness in the throat, dry Cough and Shortness of breath similar to Asthma. These symptoms are mainly due to inflammation of the esophagus(esophagitis)

Stress and smoking can increase these symptoms. Certain foods as well are known to aggravate the condition, and you better avoid them.

-Psychological or emotional stress and Anxiety, are additive factors.

-Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of Chest pain as your doctor has done.

Hope you find this information useful.
 raffi007 - Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:12 pm

Thank you Dr. Mahmoud. I appreciate the oppurtunity and will keep you posted! :) Have a great new year!

|