Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: pneumonia and im still sick

tryingtogetbetter - Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:52 pm

Hello, my name is Ryan McNeil, im 23 years old and i have a problem... 11 months ago i was diagnosed with pneumonia and given medication to cure it. Since i've had a long ride. To this day i still have chest pains( they can be severe im taking tramacet sometimes to help cope with the pain) and my glands and lymphnodes are still swollen in my neck. I've had 4 xrays and 2 cat scans to prove the pneumonia is gone, at least 10 blood tests recently i've had an upper gi and a fine needle biospy to try to find out what is going on. My anti-nuclear count is a little above avg. besides that everything has came back negative which is nice to hear but it is not helping me get better. If anyone has any helpful information on what could be going on it would be appreciated!! I hope to hear from someone soon

Ryan McNeil
Dizzlemcremix@hotmail.com
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:02 pm

It would be more helpful if you describe more the character of this pain, what aggravates the pain and if there are any other related symptoms or signs(dry cough, breathing difficulty etc).

Muscle spasm can cause chest pain of unidentified causes, it may occur due overexertion of the chest wall muscles after excess coughing.

Muscle spasm in many cases is the result of inappropriate posture for long time like traveling, driving, and certain types of work. These postures may not allow you to recover from the overexertion spasm caused by the previous illness.

Self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of Analgesics, cold or hot therapy. Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial

Keep us updated.
 tryingtogetbetter - Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:08 am

Thank you for a posting a reply.. The pain is hard to describe. I've tried to watch for triggers and cant seem to figure it out.. It is in the lower part of the left side of my chest. I do have some breathing problems which only feels like it is in the left side as well. I feel that this is a result of being a smoker. I am tring to quit but having difficulity. Is there any steps I can take or tests that i havnt mentioned that might help me put a close to all of this. If you need anymore information please let me know THANKS
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:26 pm

Another possible cause of your pain is pleurisy.
Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, which is a double-layered membrane covers the lungs separating it from the rib cage.

Viral infections like flu, are the most common cause of Pleurisy. The pain is felt as sharp pain which get worse by Coughing, sneezing, moving and deep breathing.

Being smoker and recovered recently from a pneumonia make your lung immune system weaker and more liable for repeated mild chest infections that present in the form of pleurisy.

There is no specific test to diagnose pleurisy. Auscultation of the chest shows a characteristic sound known as pleural rub. Chest x-ray sometimes showes mild pleural reaction obliteration the costophrenic recess.

Keep in mind also that smoking withdrwal symptoms include Tightness in the chest, chest pain and cough.

You have mentioned that they performed fine needle aspiration for you, from where did they do that, was there any fluid or mass found by radiological examination?

Follow up with your docotr is essential.
Best regards
 tryingtogetbetter - Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:40 pm

the fine needle biopsy was done on the right side of my neck in my gland. which came back 100 % negative they are still very swollen. and the swollen lymphnode is more towards the back side of my neck and its keeps getting bigger im just a mess and i've seen so many doctors and they all do the same tests over and tell me im fine. Really it's starting to become hard to deal with.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:54 pm

You mean they performed a Fine needle aspiration cytology FNAC not a biopsy.

Abnormal Lymph node enlargement tends to commonly result from infection / immune response, cancer and less commonly due to infiltration of macrophages filled with metabolite deposits (eg, storage disorders).

Sometimes, following infection Lymph nodes occasionally remain permanently enlarged, though they should be non-tender, small (less the 1 cm), have a rubbery consistency and none of the characteristics described for malignancy or for infection.

An increase in nodal size on serial examinations is significant. Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are important and those that regress in size tend to be more reassuring.

FNAC although a very useful technique in the diagnosis of many diseases. But being negative does not exclude a pathological cause.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor.
A new CBC, and ESR may be helpful too.

Keep us updated.

|