Question: Female, random shooting pains, left side of chest

UnbreakabIe - Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:51 am

This is a question I'm asking for a friend because she completely refuses to go see a physician so I was hoping for some help getting her there.

She's 22 years old, about 5'4" 110 lbs. She's been having completely random shooting chest pains for a while now, which lead to shortness of breath. She described it as being under her left breast. The pains can come if shes on an escalator or if shes sitting in a chair.
Non-smoker (she doesn't drink either if that makes a difference) and I don't believe her family has any history of CVD or HD.

She does have a history of multiple UTIs causing some on and off problems with her kidneys. Only medications i remember her being on are Macrobid (spelling?) and Ciprofloxacin.

I would greatly appreciate any help that would help me get her to a physician. Thanks,
Junior
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:47 pm

The pain you described can be due to different causes like:

- Muscle spasm alone can cause this pain which can be an unidentified cause but in many cases is the result of inappropriate posture for long time like traveling, driving and certain types of work.

- Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, which is a double-layered membrane covers the lungs separating it from the rib cage. Viral infections like flu, are the most common cause of Pleurisy. Recurrent form of infection may occur in individuals with lower body immunity due to other medical problems or stress.

The pain is felt as sharp pain which get worse by Coughing, sneezing, moving and deep breathing. Auscultation of the chest shows a characteristic sound known as pleural rub.

- Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis and GER.

Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of Chest pain although it is likely to be in your case (young age, non typical symptoms).

Direct clinical examination is essential.

|