News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Lung/heart problem

df22002003 - Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:23 pm

I'm 26, male, I am on doxycycline and risperdal for lyme disease. smoked socially for seven yrs. Walk 4 miles daily to get blood circulating

five yrs ago my heart stopped beating as fast as it should, at least it feels this way. to this day, the feeling continues. I have trouble taking deep breaths. i feel like my heart isn't getting enough oxygen. either the lungs aren't expanding and contracting enough, causing the heart rate to slow down or my heart has slowed down which is not allowing my lungs to expand & contract properly. It's possible my medication is causing my breathing problem and affecting the lungs and heart. Are there drugs to help the lungs expand & contract? Are there drugs to speed up the heart rate? What are there names? what are their dangers? my pulse is 62 bpm. I've had an echo, stress test, and holter monitor test, and all were fine. How can I fix this?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:22 am

User avatar Hello,

Since when you have been diagnosed with Lyme disease and what are the related symptoms?

A normal heart beat can be from 60-100.
Thus your hear rate is within normal (although low normal). Your cardiological assessment came back normal too. This makes your symptoms less likely to be of scardiac origin .

Chest causes should be investigated which include:
- Asthma may present with chest tightness, pressure and dry cough.
- Drugs like RISPERDAL may cause chest pain and shortness of breath.
- Anxiety and stress cause similar symptoms.
-Lyme disease may present with chest symptoms (during the active disease status).
Did you perform and X-ray chest or respiratory function tests? If not you may ask your Doctor for this. ESR and CBC is advisable too.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
Best regards.
 df22002003 - Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:06 am

i've had lyme since 7 yrs. From it I have memory loss and poor concentration also.

Can you please answer me this - Are there drugs to speed up the heart rate and are there drugs to help the lungs expand & contract? I am trying to do my own internet research on this, but so far have been unsuccessful. I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me. Thank you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here