News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: My husband collapsed after coughing in the middle of the nig

jjvnena2 - Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:30 pm

Hello,
My husband is 26 years old he is a bit over weight and for the last week and a half he has been coughing a lot to do point that his left lower side was hurting,when he coughed now the pain seem to go away a bit but last night he started to cough he wouldn't stop he jumped of the bed and collapse his whole body was shaking liek he was going into convulsions but it lasted less than a minute then he spoke to me and said I lost my air I couldn't breath......what is this he says he is better and doesn't want to go to the doctor I am very concern

Please advise.

J
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:41 pm

User avatar Hello,

Your description is more likely to be due to respiratory tract infection and inflammation of the pleura (pleurisy).

Inflammation of the pleura covering the lung gives a sharp pain that is associated with cough and is more severe when taking deep breath. It makes also breathing very difficult. The condition is due to viral infection in most of the cases.

You have mentioned that he suffers also from cough, thus a viral infection is more likely to be the case, and it has affected his pleura.

Inflammation in the respiratory airway results in spasm of the muscles of the bronchial way with swollen cells in the airway lining, as a sequence narrowing of the respiratory tract and decreased airflow.

This results in shortness of breath, a condition similar to asthma. When a sputum is present especially if thick viscid, it may obstruct the airway and a stong attack of cough may occur to spell it out.

Vigorous attack of cough may result in decrease blood supply to the head and dizziness or mild confusion may occur.

The condition gradually improves with rest, plenty of fluid. NSAID can help reduce the pain.

If he has a productive cough with yellowish or greenish sputum, or high fever, he should visit his doctor immediately to receive the proper medical care.

An additional cause for pain could be,
Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. In all of these conditions the chest pain is usually aggravated by taking deep breath and cough.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.
 jjvnena2 - Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:05 pm

Thank You Doctor so I am assuming I don't have to rush withhim to emergency correct? is something that will go away ?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:01 pm

User avatar Hello,

If he has a productive cough with yellowish or greenish sputum, or high fever, he should visit his doctor immediately to receive the proper medical care.

Direct clinical examination is essential, online consultation has limitations and decsions can not be taken, I can only give you some suggestions or advisce to discuss with your docotr.

Best regrads.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here