Forum Name: Asthma

Question: DOUBLE ASTHMA MEDS?

saintcal - Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:42 pm

Three days ago my physician (not an allergist) gave me samples of Advair Diskus and Rhinocort Aqua, both to be taken 2x/day. If they are both corticosteroids, I don't understand why I would need to take both of them; also the Rhinocort directions suggest only 1x/day.

I was diagnosed with allergic rhinitis/mild COPD about ten years ago and haven't had any problems for the past 6 years, until a recent flair-up of congestion and chest tightness.

Also, I am taking a diuretic for borderline hypertension.

I'm very uncomfortable (i.e., scared) taking the two new medications. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:08 pm

Advair Diskus are combinations of fluticasone propionate (steroid compound) and salmeterol xinafoate (B2 bronchodilator).
It is generally used twice daily.

RHINOCORT AQUA- Nasal Spray, composed of budesonideis, an anti-inflammatory synthetic corticosteroid.
It is generally used once daily.

There is no interaction between the two drugs.
Most of the complications from the use of steroids are commonly seen after the long term use of the drugs and not from the short term.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him your fear.

Keep us updated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:42 pm

User avatar Just to add a bit more information, it is common for doctors to prescribe both medications at the same time. The Advair discus will help control asthma, and the nasal spray will help with allergic rhinitis. The steroids in both are relatively low doses (meaning much lower than a steroid burst you would take orally). Very little of the steroid is absorbed into the blood stream. As such, the steroid in each medication acts only where it contacts the linings of your nose and lungs.

The Rhinocort nasal spray will stay in your nose and do very little for your asthma, with the exception of helping control the allergies which can exacerbate asthma. The Advair, for the most part, will not come into contact with the nasal mucosa and will do very little to help allergic rhinitis. So, even though they are both steroids they have different "jobs" to do.

I agree with Dr. Mahmoud. If you have concerns, please talk with your doctor.

Happy New Year.
 saintcal - Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:42 pm

Thank you. I'm relieved to hear your responses. Now comes a big test; tonight New Year's Eve will be celebrated with enormous amounts of heat and smoke-producing fireworks in our area (Hawaii).

So in a few hours, I'll be staying indoors with everything closed up, hoping for the best. We have one tiny bedroom with a window A/C so that should probably work out okay for me.

Happy New Year!

|