News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Pain in left side of chest below breast

Cassiestyles - Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:16 pm

Hi, I am a 35 year old female. For about two weeks, I have been experiencing a dull pain in the left side of my chest, but usually when I cough, sneeze, or laugh. It doesn't really bother me when I breathe normal, and I am not having any shortness of breath. I am on a blood pressure medication, and I take it faithfully once a day, 25mg. My blood pressure is under control. Do you have any idea what this can be? There is a history of pleuricy and heart disease in my family. Kindly let me know if I should be concerned about this. I have no other symptoms accompanying it.
Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:50 am

User avatar Hello,

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves. They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

The pain you have described is more likely to be due to pleurisy.

Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, which is a double-layered membrane covers the lungs separating it from the rib cage. Viral infections like flu, are the most common cause of Pleurisy. The pain is felt as sharp pain which get worse by Coughing, sneezing, moving, laughing and deep breathing. Auscultation of the chest shows a characteristic sound known as pleural rub.

Another possible cayse is pain due to myoskeletal problems.
Overexertion of the chest wall muscles (excess cough) or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles.

In these conditions the chest pain is usually aggravated by taking deep breath, and cough.

The condition gradually improves with rest, plenty of fluid. NSAID can help reduce the pain.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here