News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: walking pneumonia??

raffi007 - Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:41 pm

I was sick with a fever and what seemed to be bronchitis in early november.. never went to doctor because the fever subsided in a day.. ever since then i've been noticing chest congestion.. its not when i breathe but when i force an exhale I notice the congestion.. When I try to cough it up it is unproductive and I feel a rattle. I had a chest x-ray done and chest ct scan in early december, but it didn't show anything. i still have glazy/sometimes red dry eyes. achy , low grade fever (99.4) periodically throughout the day (rarely). my sputum is generally clear, sometimes when I blow my nose I'll notice a little bit of green, one ear has been clicking a bit. Does this sound like walking pneumonia or possibly lingering bronchitis??

Thanks - .
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:58 pm

User avatar Hello,

This is more likely to be due to upper respiratory tract infection rather tan a lower respiratory tract infection.

It is commonly due to viral infections. Different viruses are known to causes the illness especially in winter. It is common to have eye symptoms with viral illness.
Rhinitis and postnasal discharge result in cough due to irritation of the larynx.

- Walking pneumonia is terminology used to describe certain types of mild pneumonia in which the affected persons can continue his activity and do not have to rest in bed.

They on the other hand may cause severe persistent (dry) cough, fever, chills, headache, and abdominal pain if left untreated, unlike a cold, it will get worse in 2 weeks if not treated properly.

The causative organism is Mycoplasma pneumonia which is responsible for majority of community-acquired pneumonia.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
Chest -Xray and sputum or discharge culture (if needed) will identify the causative organism.

Follow up with your Doctor is essential for proper management.

Best regards.
 raffi007 - Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:37 pm

is it normal for something like this to linger?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:36 pm

User avatar Hello,

When symptoms persist for longer periods the possibilities are:

- Cough and nasal discharge are of the symptoms that last longer than two weeks after recovery from certain viral infections.

The respiratory tract wall becomes hyperactive and a form of asthma may occur as spasm of the airway is easier to take place.

- If you are not properly treated or received in adequate treatment, infection and symptoms will remain also for long time.

When your immune system becomes more weak, the organism will be more active and an acute form of the infection will be clear.

- Also if you are allergic, allergic people have similar symptoms when exposed to an allergen and the duration of illness may be prolonged.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him this information.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here