Forum Name: Asthma

Question: sinus infection + bronchial asthma

detroiter - Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:39 pm

I really didnt know where to post this, so here it goes. I have bronchial asthma that only acts up when I get sick. Tis the season for my allergies to kick in, and lo and behold I wind up with a sinus infection. Im an uninsured college kid, so I try whatever I can before handing over a weeks pay at the doctors office. My symtoms included a horrible cough that kept me up 2 nights in a row, a sore throat, congestion, and drainage. I tried gargling cayenne pepper-water for my sore throat, and drinking applecider vinegar. Fear of strep sent me to the doctor. He diagnosed me with a bacterial sinus infection, gave me enough free samples to ward it off and sent me on my way. Im taking 10 days of 750mg levaquin, staying on my albuterol, and 12 hr alegra. my sore throat is gone, my congestion is loosening up, but I have this feeling like there is a lump on the back of my tongue, or maybe in my throat. Is this normal? Was it the cayenne pepper? Should I continue the antibiotics? I tried to research it online and all I get is cancer and GERD referances. This has never happened before.

please clue me in-
21 yr old female
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:17 am

User avatar Hi detroiter,
Your description of symptoms does not indicate a typical relationship to a side effect of the antibiotic therapy. Finish the course of prescribed antibiotics and you may want to try warm salt water gargles for your throat symptoms. Best wishes!

|