News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Running in the cold

zacman2005 - Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:14 pm

My crew team and I have been debating on whether or not it is unhealthy to run outside during temperatures of 27 degrees farenheit (19 with the windchill). Especially due to the fact that we train in t-shirts and shorts, I think that there must be some danger to your lungs or muscles. Am I just looking for excuses, or should we find another place to run?
 DeLWolcott - Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:18 am

I am not a runner. In the words of Val Kilmer in 'Real Genius', "Only when chased." But a little common sense seems to need to come into play. Extreme cold temperatures tenses the muscles, increasing chances for injury. Our personal heritage plays a factor also. Some people have a natural tolerance to cold. Some of us don't.

I would suggest dressing as you feel comfortable for your runs. You may eventually build up your tolerance to the cold and be able to lose some layers. Wear a soft covering of some sort over your mouth and nose to decrease heat loss and intake, as keeping your body temperature controlled is important in any situation.

You have to listen to your body in these situations. If your body is uncomfortable, you have the right to do what you can to become comfortable to get the best workout possible.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:50 pm

User avatar Hello-

All I can add to DeL Wolcott's excellent repsonse is that running in extremely cold weather can cause serious drying of the mucosa of your nose, airway and lungs. This, in turn, can cause problems at times, some of which could be serious enough to warrant medical treatment, such as asthma, bronchitis, etc. Some tolerate the cold air just fine. Others do not. We're just all different.

Good luck to you, and I have to say I am impressed with your ability to tolerate the cold otherwise is quite impressive.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here