Question: Chest Pain

serenity22 - Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:06 pm

Age 56
Female
Schizophrenia
Gall Ballder removal
Father: Alcoholic
Mother:diabetic
Current medications: Trifluorperzine (generic Stelazine 10 mg@hs

I was overweight for about 20 years but now am 5'5 and weight 163 pounds. I exercised vigorously for the past two years and lost 45 pounds. I was driving somewhere the other day and had a severe pressure and pain in my chest. I went to the ER afterward and they ran tests and said there was nothing wrong with me and sent me home. I am very weak and letheragic now and am having shooting pains and pressure apins in my chest. I am too weak and lethargic to drive myself to the doctor. Can you tell me how I can treat myself at home? I am trying to get plenty of rest, eat and drink well and keep it quiet and take aspirin for the pain. Is there anything else I can do. I was a very active person all of my life.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:06 pm

User avatar Hi serenity22 - While all your ER exams and tests were interpreted as normal, it does sound as though something is going on. It may not be cardiac, but I think a follow-up is in order. If you are too weak/lethargic to drive yourself to the doctor and can't find someone to drive you there as a favor, then (and I say this with some trepidation) you might want to make another appearance at the ER. If you are having chest pains and are extremely weak, there is something that requires addressing. Quite often women do not get the same consideration in this sort of situation that men get, because of a lingering mindset that women are somehow immune to heart disease until much later in life. This is becoming less common, but still persists in the minds of some medical people.

Hopefully what is going on is not cardiac related, but it could nonetheless be something that warrants medical care. Clearly you're not feeling well enough to function right now, and you have pain. You could have something as simple as a viral pneumonia or a number of other non-cardiac problems, but if you feel as bad as you say, you definitely require further attention. If there's no way you can make it in to your doctor's office then the ER is one way to be seen and maybe they will look farther this time.

Good luck to you and please let us know how things go.

|