Question: Pain left side arm, chest and back

Kayden - Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:05 pm

i'm a 21 year old male and have had an almost constant pain the left side of my upper body for as long as i can remember. the pain seems to be at the top of my chest and runs through under my armpit and the left side of my back. if i dig my finger in between 2 of my ribs (not sure which two) at a specific point the pain is absolutely agonising, also under my armpit there seems to be some sort of cartilage or ligament that again when i press on it is so painful. the pain seems to start when im sitting ot lying for a long time, it seems to go away when i keep my left arm raised or rested on top of my head. oh and the pain is also excruciating another place (i'll try and explain). if you put your right hand round the back of your left chest the bone that moves on your back which seems to be connected to your arm, the corner of that bone excruciates, near my ribs. i've had this pain years and years but seems to be getting worse. told doctor jus said take painkillers. had chest x-ray nothing showed, no past surgeries. past diagnoses: mild sarcoidosis, depression. currently taking anti-depressant zoloft for 6months. and the pain goes away a little when i lay flat on my back on a hard surface, would really appreciate your help its so painful. thankyou
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:50 am

User avatar Hi Kayden,
There are numerous causes for noncardiac chest pain and can range from gastrointestinal disorders, (Gerd), overexerted muscles, pleurisy, costochondritis, nerve compression, etc. Have you had any diagnostic studies aside from the chest xray to rule out any other disorders, i.e., labwork, MRI, etc.? Have you been treated with any medications, NSAID's to decrease pain and reduce inflammation? Best wishes.

|