News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Pain left side arm, chest and back

Kayden - Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:05 pm

i'm a 21 year old male and have had an almost constant pain the left side of my upper body for as long as i can remember. the pain seems to be at the top of my chest and runs through under my armpit and the left side of my back. if i dig my finger in between 2 of my ribs (not sure which two) at a specific point the pain is absolutely agonising, also under my armpit there seems to be some sort of cartilage or ligament that again when i press on it is so painful. the pain seems to start when im sitting ot lying for a long time, it seems to go away when i keep my left arm raised or rested on top of my head. oh and the pain is also excruciating another place (i'll try and explain). if you put your right hand round the back of your left chest the bone that moves on your back which seems to be connected to your arm, the corner of that bone excruciates, near my ribs. i've had this pain years and years but seems to be getting worse. told doctor jus said take painkillers. had chest x-ray nothing showed, no past surgeries. past diagnoses: mild sarcoidosis, depression. currently taking anti-depressant zoloft for 6months. and the pain goes away a little when i lay flat on my back on a hard surface, would really appreciate your help its so painful. thankyou
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:50 am

User avatar Hi Kayden,
There are numerous causes for noncardiac chest pain and can range from gastrointestinal disorders, (Gerd), overexerted muscles, pleurisy, costochondritis, nerve compression, etc. Have you had any diagnostic studies aside from the chest xray to rule out any other disorders, i.e., labwork, MRI, etc.? Have you been treated with any medications, NSAID's to decrease pain and reduce inflammation? Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here