Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: UNKNOWN CHEST PAIN!!!!!!!

pvyas1 - Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:24 pm

I AM A 21 YEAR OLD FEMALE. I AM A FULL-TIME EMPLOYEE AND I ALSO ATTEND COLLEGE FULL-TIME. I AM BELOW AVERAGE WEIGHT. I WEIGH 86 LBS AND I AM 5’2/3”. I DO NOT DRINK, DO DRUGS, OR SMOKE. I OBVIOUSLY AM NOT IN THE BEST OF PHYSCIAL CONDITIONS BECAUSE I AM UNDERWEIGHT. ALSO, ALTHOUGH I HAVE SUCH A BUSY SCHEDULE GOING TO SCHOOL AND WORK, I AM FAIRLY GOOD IN MANAGING MY TIME. THEREFORE, I DO NOT LEAD A VERY STRESSFUL LIFE.

ABOUT 6-7 YEARS AGO I STARTED EXPERIENCING A SHARP PAIN IN MY CHEST. WHEN IT FIRST STARTED, IT WOULD HAPPEN AT RANDOM TIMES, ABOUT 3-4 TIMES A MONTH. SINCE THEN IT HAS GOTTEN PROGRESSIVELY WORSE. NOW, 6-7 YEARS LATER, THE PAIN NOT ONLY OCCURS MORE OFTEN, BUT NOW LASTS LONGER. I GET THE SHOOTING SHARP PAIN IN MY CHEST THAT TYPICALLY LASTS 3-5 MINS EACH TIME, AT LEAST A COUPLE OF TIMES A DAY. ALSO, NOW THAT THE PAIN IS MORE FREQUENT, THE ARE ALSO OTHER EFFECTS OF THE PAIN TO OTHER PARTS OF MY BODY.

NOW, I GET THE PAIN FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES, AND THEN IT GOES FROM A SHARP PAIN TO A DULL, DISCOMFORTING PAIN. THIS DULL PAIN IS ALSO VERY PAINFUL, PROBABLY EVEN MORE SO BECAUSE I CANNOT PINPOINT THE PAIN. THE PAIN THEN TRAVELS TO THE REST OF THE LEFT SIDE OF MY UPPER BODY – FRONT AND BACK. ALSO, THE PAIN SORT OF RADIATES TO MY LEFT ARM AND LEG. ONCE THE PAIN REACHES MY LIMBS, MY ARM AND LEG BEGIN TO FEEL TINGLY AND START GETTING NUMB. THE TINGLINESS AND NUMBNESS ALONG WITH THE PAIN IN MY LEFT ARM AND LEG DOES NOT OCCUR UNLESS IT IS FOLLOWED BY THE PAIN IN MY CHEST.

ALSO, THE PAIN AS A WHOLE DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO TAKE DEEP BREATHS. I ALWAYS FEEL AS IF I AM OUT OF BREATH BECAUSE OF IT. THE WORST THING IS THAT THE PAIN IS VERY UNPREDICTABLE. IT COMES AND GOES AS IT WISHES. I HAVE BEEN IN SITUATIONS WHERE I HAVE HAD TO PULL TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE DRIVE ME HOME.

I HAVE BEEN GOING TO NUMEROUS DOCTORS SINCE MY PAIN FIRST STARTED ABOUT 6-7 YEARS AGO. AT FIRST I WAS TOLD THAT I MIGHT BE ANEMIC. WHICH IT TURNED OUT THAT I WASN’T. THEN THE DOCTORS INFORMED ME THAT I HAD JUVENILE ARTHIRITIS. I WENT ON FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS BELIEVING THAT I DID IN FACT HAVE JUVENILE ARTHIRITIS. JUST RECENTLY, I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT I DO NOT HAVE JUVENILE ARTHIRITS. I HAVE BEEN GOING TO DOCTORS, LIKE I SAID, FOR MANY YEARS NOW. EVERY DOCTOR DOES BLOOD TESTS, ORDERS X-RAYS AND EKGs. EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE COMING OUT NORMAL. BECAUSE OF THE FACT THE EVERY TEST COMES OUT NORMAL, I FEEL AS IF MY DOCTOR IS NOT REALLY TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME. THE DOCTOR JUST CONTINUES TO GIVE ME HIGHER AND HIGHER DOSAGES OF PAIN MEDICATION. HONESTLY, I HAVE STOPPED TAKING THE PAIN MEDICATION THAT IS GIVEN TO ME. THE REASON SIMPLY BEING THAT IT SEEMS MY BODY GETS IMMUNE TO PAIN MEDICATION VERY QUICKLY. JUST AS A QUICK EXAMPLE. AT FIRST I WAS TAKING 550mg OF NAPROXEN 3 TIMES A DAY. AFTER ONLY ABOUT A MONTH, I WAS UPPED TO 1000mg OF NAPROXEN 3 TIMES A DAY. I HAVE BEEN GIVEN MANY TYPES OF PAIN KILLERS TO TRY TO HELP WITH THE PAIN, BUT IT JUST SEEMS THAT THE MEDICATION DOES NOT HAVE AN AFFECT ON THE PAINS. SINCE THE PAIN IS SPORATIC, I BELIEVE THAT THE MEDICATION DOES NOT HELP. ALSO, DOCTORS HAVE TRIED TO GIVE ME ANTI-DEPRESSANTS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO HELP WITH THE PAIN. ALL THAT DOES IS MAKE ME HYPER AND “OFF THE WALLS” ALL DAY LONG. AT TIMES WHEN I USED TO TAKE THE ANTI-DEPRESSANTS, I WOULD FEEL AS IF MY BODY WANTED TO JUMP OUT OF ITSELF. ALSO, I FEEL THAT TAKING SO MUCH PAIN MEDICATION FOR SOMEONE THAT WEIGHS 86LBS WOULD HAVE AN ADVERSE NEGATIVE EFFECT OF THEIR BODY. FOR ALL OF THESE REASONS, I HAVE MADE THE DECISION TO NOT TAKE ANYMORE PAIN MEDICATION. MAYBE THAT DECISION IS NOT TOTALLY SMART, BUT I FEEL THAT THE MEDICATION DOES NOT MAKE THE PAIN BETTER ANYWAY.

I HAVE BEEN SEEING A REUMATOLOGIST FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS. I HAVE ONLY HAD TWO VISITS SO FAR. I DID TAKE ALL OF THE RESULTS OF MY PRIOR TESTS WITH ME. THE REUMATOLOGIST DID ASK ME TO GET ANOTHER BLOOD TEST DONE, WHICH DID COME OUT NORMAL. ALSO, THEY ASKED FOR ME TO GET A BONE SCAN TO SEE IF THERE WAS INFLAMATION IN THE BONES. APPARENTLY, THE BONE SCAN IS DONE ON CANCER PATIENTS, BUT IT WOULD HAVE APPARENTLY HELPED IN LOCATING ANY INFLAMATION. THE BLOOD TESTS AND THE BONE SCAN HAVE BOTH COME OUT NORMAL SO THE REUMATOLOGIST HAS NOW BLUNTLY SAID THAT WE ARE BACK AT SQUARE ONE. HE SAYS THAT HE WILL SPEAK WITH MY PRIMARY DOCTOR TO GET ME EVALUATED BY A NEUROLOGIST. MY PRIMARY DOCTOR DOES NOT AGREE THAT MY PAIN IS NEUROLOGICALLY RELATED.

I HAVE ALSO BEEN TO THE ER MANY TIMES, WHERE THEY JUST ORDER MORE BLOOD TESTS, X-RAYS, AND EKGs. THOSE TESTS ALWAYS COME OUT NORMAL, AND THEN THEY START AT SQUARE ONE AGAIN.

I AM SO FED UP WITH GOING TO DIFFERENT DOCTORS AND PRACTICALLY GETTING NO ANSWERS. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECEIATE IT IF SOMEONE CAN LEAD ME IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION TO TRY AND TACKLE THIS PROBLEM.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:25 am

User avatar Hi pvyas1,
There are many causes for cardiac/noncardiac in origin chest pain. I will first start by stating that even though you may think that you are not at all stressed, if you are working full time and going to school full time, you most certainly are and you just don't realize it. For your physician's, it may seem that they aren't trying to diagnose your problem but the fact that they are performing the standard diagnostics would suggest that they are attemptimg. To find a causative factor for a condition or illness it is sometimes necessary, when it is not clear what the exact problem is, to eliminate each one in a chronological order. Certain neurological conditions/diseases may cause pain, numbness, tingling,weakness, visual disturbances, etc. A neurologist would be able to identify if you have a dysfunction that's causing your symptoms, and may order a diagnostic, i.e., MRI to identify any anomalies. If the recommendation is to have an evaluation by this specialist I would encourage you to do so. An update of course would be appreciated. Best wishes.

|