Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Exercise Induced Asthma?

david33 - Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:21 pm

I am a male 16 year old. I think i may have exercise induced asthma. I am in basketball this time of year and I seem to get short of breath and tired fast. Ill be fine for a couple of minutes, and then I will lose my breath and my legs feel like they are just about to give out. Its not like im out of shape, because i lift 3 days a week, and I usually have practice 5 days a week. I went to a doctor about 2 years ago, and was tested for allergies and I was allergic to a number of things and I was on allegra for a while, but it did not help. I also have heard that cold, dry, air, can also trigger exercise induced asthma. In the winter, we have a woodstove, and my room is usually pretty cold and dry. Usually around 55 degrees. I breath out of my mouth usually when i sleep. What do you think I should do about this?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:43 pm

It sounds like an asthma is the cause of your symptoms.

Asthma is due to an inflammatory process in the respiratory airway a disease r which esults in spasm of the muscles of the bronchial way and narrowing of the respiratory tract and decreased airflow.

Personal and/or family history of allergies are present in most patients with asthma.

Symptoms are usually periodic and vary in duration, may last from few minutes up to few days.

Wheezing and shortness of breath are the most common presenting symptoms for asthma. The condition usually pericipiates by exposure to certain allergens such as, as moist air, molds, dust mites, pollens and molds.
Symptoms are also exacerbated with exercise. Wheezing usually resolves either spontaneously.

Other patients presents with cough with or without sputum (phlegm), Chronic shortness of breath that is aggravated with exercises and mandate the us of accessory respiratory muscles.

Diagnosis is made by careful history and examination. Auscultation of the chest during the episode shows the very characteristic wheezing sounds. In between attacks the chest is normal on examination

People with mild asthma (infrequent attacks) may use relief medication as needed. Those with persistent asthma should take control medications on a regular basis to prevent symptoms from occurring.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor for proper management.

hraynes - Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:12 pm

I believe my son might have this as well. He is a runner (and 13 years old) on the cross country team. He recently has been getting shortness of breath and wheezing, sometimes in the middle of his runs (and he can't complete them). We have a doctor's appointment but not for another week. What kinds of tests do they need to do to determine if he has exercise-induced asthma? (It is not in our family so we have no idea where it may come from).

|