Question: chest pain + migranes

andreanalaska - Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:13 pm

I'm 17 Female college student. Experience chest pains every 4ish days- pain is similar to when I had ulcers almost 3 yrs ago, sort of a V formation, starting in xyfoid process, following along ribs, tightening pain.

Not always at the same time I get headaches so bad that I can't focus, drive, any sound or light hurts. Only thing that gets rid of it is prescription pain killers, Percosette or similar, left over from when I had tonsils removed in November.

Both pains have been going on for a few weeks. I'm not particularly stressed. I carry a really heavy backpack 2 days a week, not sure if you need to know that.

These pains are really starting to affect my life, and I'm running out of pain killers, do I need to see a Dr? Will the campus clinic work, or should I see a real Dr? thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:39 pm

This type of pain is likely to be related to an upper GI problem.

Abdominal pain is a nonspecific symptom for many medical conditions. That is why a lot more information about the character of the pain is always needed to reach the diagnosis.
These information include:
the site, the time of onset, duration of pain or the course of the pain, nature of pain e.g.dull, crampy etc, and any associated symptom or possible precipitating factor.

In general pain felt in the upper part of the abdomen as you mentioned can be due to many causes including:
- Gastritis
- Gastric ulcer
- Excess gas and distension
- Indigestion

- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- IBS in which the diagnosis is mainly by exclusion of other causes.
Investigations include
Complete blood picture , blood chemistry.
Abdominal US.

People with IBS may have associated headache or coexisting.

Complete history, physical examination and investigations are the only way to reach proper diagnosis and treatment. So, I advise you to take an appointment with your doctor to reach the correct diagnosis.

|