Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: chest and arm pain

dom2147 - Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:03 am

quick question....i am 26 years old....went for a physical the other day...all results came back great...but my doctor told me there was a very slight abnormality in my ECG....he told me not to be concerned what so ever...and set me up for an eko-cardiogram to get a better look...told me it is protocol....i am just concerned cause i never had this before and not quite sure what this could be....doctor told me not to worry at all and all is fine it is just protocol....sometimes the pain moves around little bit but it almost feels like i might have pulled someting....maybe i am thinkin too much inot since i got the results back from my ECG...anythought?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:32 pm

User avatar Are you able to tell us what the results of the ECG were? Knowing what the abnormality was will help answer your question.

It would be a bit unusual for a man of your age to have heart problems. An echocardiogram is essentially an ultrasound of the heart. It gives good pictures of the heart to look for any structural abnormalities or thickening of the walls. They can often also look at the coronary arteries to some extent.

If your doctor is not concerned it is very likely that nothing major is wrong, but we often like to do some confirmatory tests to verify our belief. I suspect that this is why your doctor wants to do the echocardiogram.

Let us know if you are able to give us more info and I may be able to help more.

Hope this helps.
 dom2147 - Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:12 am

i think he said something along the lines of a common occurence when you give an EKG....slight abnormality related to somethin that showed there was a hole in the heart i beleive...he said this pops about alot of the time when doing EKG and is normally just an innaccurate reading....but again...i am going for the Eckocardiogram next week to confirm...my concern is now that i had this EKG i have experience pain in my chest, my rib area, and my neck...it is mostly a dull pain but sometimes i got like a shock pain in my neck....this wouldnt not have bothered me if i wasnt told there was an abnormality in my EKG....i had neck surgey almost 9 years ago to replace the C6 vertabra witha bone from my hip...don't know if this is relavant...i have zero problems working out and feel great afterwards...no shortness of breath or anyting...im not sure if this pain is a pull but again with the test results i am relating to the heart which is a little nerve rackin....if you can givve me some more insight i would really appreciate it
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:51 pm

User avatar Small holes in the heart, such as an atrial septal defect, if allowing enough blood flow across to the right side of the heart can cause the right side of the heat to enlarge. This enlargement can be picked up on an ECG and may be what your doctor was seeing.

Unfortunately, ECG's are very, very sensitive to lead placement. If the electrodes are placed in a slightly wrong position it can also show similar findings. So, as your doctor has recommended, the way to get a definite answer is with an echocardiogram to actually look for holes and blood flowing across the heart. They can also measure the size of the heart.

There's a very good chance that the ECG changes may be artifact and not accurate. The echo will be able to tell for sure.

Let us know what you find out.

Hope this helps.

|