Question: Problems taking a breath

arowland25 - Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:09 am

Hello. I am a 28 year old female. My background includes 2 laparoscopic surgeries for the treatment of endometriosis, 1 1/2 years on Lupron for endometiosis. Also had my gallbladder removed in October of last year for gallstones. I am currently taking questran 2x daily for post gallbladder issues. I have never smoked and do not drink alcohol.

The only medication I am on is the questran and birth control. For the past few months I have thought I was getting recurring sinus infections. I've had facial pain, mucous drainage and problems catching my breath. I've been on various antibiotics which seem to help each time. I just recently started getting dizzy when laying down to go to bed. It lasts for a few short minutes and then stops. I also am having problems catching my breath. I feel like the problem lies within my nose, b/c that is where it feels like I can't breath. My nose is not stuffy...it is just dry and feels "full."

I have been to an ENT and he thinks it is reflux?? He told me to try Nexium, but I just don't see this as reflux. I do have ocassional reflux, but not all the time, only afer spicey meals. TH ENT only did a limited CT scan of my sinuses. No blood work was done.

Do you have any idea of what this could be? It seems as if no doctor has an answer. The problems catching my breath lead to panic attacks, b/c I can't breath! :-)

Thanks,
Mandy
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:05 pm

If causes for chronic sinusitis are excluded by ENT examination and CT scan of the sinuses. Then GERD should be considered.

In fact , reports indicated that the acid reflux in patients with GERD into their pharynx result in sinusitis
This because the acid secretion that reaches the pharynx and nearby the sinuses induce inflammation of nasal mucous and block the sinuses.

Thus , individuals with GERD may also have a chronic sensation of a lump in the throat and difficult breathing.

Hope you find this information useful. I advise you to follow up
with your gastroentrolgist to recommend you better treatment for the GERD.

Keep us updated.

|