News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Thick blood streaked phlegm

peachee50 - Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:38 pm

I am a 25 year old female. I have always experienced sinus problems. Lately I've been experiencing something very different in the mornings. I am waking up because I am have trouble breathing. It feels like there is a blockage in my throat. I have to cough or snort pretty hard to get it out. It appears to be an extremely thick phlegm with streaks of blood. It is brownish yellow and very thick almost into a GEL form. Thank you in advance for your help.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:19 pm

User avatar Hello,

Stuffed nose causes can be identified when other symptoms exist.
Common causes of chronic stuffy nose include:
-Allergic rhinitis: there is sneezing, nasal discharge, or blocked nose
-Adenoid conditions there is mainly blocked nose and nasal discharge
-Adenoiditis nasal discharge may be of bad odor
-Vasomotor rhinitis sneezing, , profuse watery nasal discharge, recurrent inflammation.

-Chronic sinusitis: there is nasal discharge which is usually dark and of bad odor, sneezing, runny nose. Post nasal discharge results in sore throat also. This is more likely to be the cause of your symptoms.

All causes that result in chronic irritation of the nasal mucosa can produce bloody mixed discharge due to mucosa damage.

Sometimes more than one cause coexist and proper diagnosis is essential for proper treatment.

ENT examination is essential. CT scan for the sinuses may be advised by your doctor.

Hope you find this information useful.
Keep us updated.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here