Question: Mid chest pain, occuring at random times

eab13 - Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:28 pm

1. Age 19
2. Sex male
3. No past diagnoses
4. No surgeries
5. Family history of Thyroid conditions, high blood pressure
6. No medications

I have been having a clenching pain on and off right near my bottom rib, which can be intense at times. I went to the hospital, and was told there was no heart problems, but they found a "fullness" at the left lung hilum. At times I have a tightness in my armpit, and some of the pain spreads all the way up to the nipple. Some times breathing seems hard, but it goes away in a few minutes. The pain gets worse when I slouch over in a chair, or if I have to bend over and pick something up. Any ideas of what this "fullness" could be?
Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:25 pm

User avatar Dear eab13,

This chest pain might have a lot of causes. How long have you been having this chest pain? Any relation to taking a deep breath or coughing? Any cough? Any sputum production? Any fever? Any shortness of breath associated with the pain?

The hilum is the area where the blood vessels of the lungs and the bronchial tubes come out and where the lymph nodes are located.

Fullness of the hilum is a term used to describe that area if it looks a little bit larger than normal. It is an absolutely non-specific term and if there is anything suspicious, the way to go is to have a ct scan of the chest to take a better look at this area.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.

|