Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Eczema and Asthma

Kate1982 - Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:20 am

My 3 year old daughter currently had outbreaks of eczema as a baby. She hasn't had one since she was about 12 months old. Her pediatrician told me that if she doesn't have an outbreak after the age of 2 then she likely won't ever have one again. My son, who is 11 months old just got his first outbreak of eczema as well and has had it for about 2 weeks. I have heard that there is an increased risk for asthma in children who have eczema. I was wondering if this risk goes away if the child grows out of the eczema or does the risk continue even though the child no longer has eczema?
Thank you for your time,
Kate
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:14 pm

User avatar You are absolutely correct that asthma and eczema do run together, along with seasonal allergies.

While it hasn't been completely proven yet, we believe that all three are really an allergic type reaction. Generally if there is a family history of any of these things, there is an increased chance of having the others as well.

Children may or may not grow out of their asthma or eczema. Very frequently the asthma improves with age and the eczema may or may not improve.

I'm not familiar with the age 2 "cut off" in particular; however, if your child hasn't had any problems with eczema it is possible that the eczema will remain mild.

Asthma can present at any age. Often it presents when the children are infants or toddlers to young children. It is less common to present in older children-but this is still frequently seen. Adolescent children who have not had any problems with asthma are quite a bit less likely to develop asthma (in medicine we never say never).

If your children do develop any symptoms of breathing problems, cough at night, or wheezing the possibility of asthma should be explored.

Hope this helps.

|