Question: 28yr old female with left side sharp chestpain

jasmine_g - Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:28 am

I'm 28 yr old female.I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 2 and half years ago and rheumatoid arthritis 2 years ago. I am not on any med. at moment as im exclusively breastfeeding. For four weeks now on and off I've been experiencing chest pain on my left side.Its is a very sharp intense pain and has no real pattern. It usually comes when I'm just sitting but can come when I'm walking around also.I went to doctor 2 wks ago and he said it was costochrondritis and gave me fastum gel to use at night and wash it off before I breastfeed in morn. I've been using it but pain seems to be coming more frequent and more painful.What do you think if might be and should I go back to dr?
Appreciate any advice,thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:47 am

User avatar I have a few questions that may help me give you a better answer.

1) Where on your left side is the pain located? Can you pinpoint it fairly precisely or is it more of a diffuse pain?

2) Does the pain become worse with deep breaths or movements?

3) When you have the pain, is there anything that makes it feel better or worse and how long do the episodes last?

Thanks.
 jasmine_g - Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:57 am

Thanks for your quick response.

1.Pain is on left side just under breast.I can pinpoint it fiarly precisely.
2.Yes when I have pain it is worse when I laugh,cough.or take deep breaths.
3. Cant seem to find anything that aggravates it or helps really.sitting forward can relieve it a bit sometimes.Pain started coming few times a day and could last up 30-60mins.Now in least two days esp. today pain is more frequent,have had itsharp pain nearly every hour today and doesnt seem to fade completely,stays a dull ache.
would appreciate your advice,thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:03 am

User avatar You may have pleurisy. This is inflamation of the lining of the lungs/chest wall. Deep breathing, moving, etc. causes the irritated lining to rub up against the opposite wall and produces pain.

The best treatment for pleurisy is a nonsteroidal antiinflamatory medication such as ibuprofen. Taking the recommended dose 2-3 times per day for about a week usually will do the trick. Ibuprofen is safe during breast feeding.

However, before starting any medication I would recommend that you follow up with your doctor for reevaluation. Please do not start any treatment recommended via the internet without first consulting your doctor who can examine you directly. This could be quite dangerous as I am solely going by what you are describing and may be missing some crucial piece of information.

That being said, you do have a pretty good story for pleurisy and I think the ibuprofen will likely help if your doctor agrees.

Hope this helps.

|