Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Small amount of blood when I cough

Driftwood - Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:55 pm

I'm a 19 year old male. Light-Smoker, Working while going to school, slight insomniac, had a pretty bad cold last week.

When I woke up this morning(after only an hour of sleep, had maybe 6 hours sleep in the past 2 days), I was coughing(I've had the cough for about a week and a half now) and when I went to the bathroom sink to spit out what I coughed up, there was blood in the mucus stuff. Not much, just a small amount of light red blood in some places. It's probably nothing, but I'm very paranoid about things like this. I haven't had another instance of coughing up blood since this morning(About 7 hours ago).

I appreciate any input or advice you can give. Thanks.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:23 pm

User avatar If the cough is only since a week and a half, its probably the respiratory tract infection. But its important to rule out few other causes. But as you've already had 2 episodes of blood stained sputum, it does suggest that whatever the pathology is, its progressing.

You need to get atleast an Xray-chest done (after thorough chest examination by a doctor). Timely intervention can prevent further harm. So try to make it as early as possible.

Try to quit smoking. Will be of great help in long term, especially in your case.
 Driftwood - Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:29 pm

Thanks for the tip, but you misread part of it. I've only had one episode of blood stained sputum.

I am currently working on quitting smoking, I've got the gum and everything, I'm starting on that tomorrow, I set March 1 as my quit date.

Thank you for the advice.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:39 pm

User avatar
Driftwood wrote:Thanks for the tip, but you misread part of it. I've only had one episode of blood stained sputum.

I agree. I misread I haven't had as I have had. :)

If its a single episode, it could just be due to trauma cause of excessive coughing. Keep a careful watch on it.

Rest of the advice still remains the same.

Good to see positive efforts from you on quitting smoking. Make sure it doesn't relapse after quitting. Make yourself mentally strong.
 Driftwood - Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:45 pm

Thanks. I don't intend on ever starting again once I've quit. It was a stupid decision to start when I was in high school in the first place.

I will. Thanks for the help.

|