Question: Linear Stranding in base of lung?

Mindy - Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

I recently had a CT scan that indicated that I had mild linear stranding in the base of my left lung, but no acute process. Can you please tell me what this means? Thanks!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:11 pm

User avatar Dear Mindy,

Why did you have the ct scan of the chest done?

When a person lies flat on their back, a part of the lung is compressed and this might lead to what is known as mild atelectasis or collapse of this compressed part of the lung, but once the person is up and about, this area of the lung opens up again and there should not be any problem.

In recent years, this finding has prompted doctors to ask for ct scans of the chest with the patient both lying on his/her back and then lying on his/her stomach especially if the doctor wanted to make sure that this is not something related to a disease that affects the base of the lungs where is finding is mosly observed on ct scans.

You don't have to worry about such a finding unless there is any other abnormality that was reported on the ct scan that you had done.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.

|