Question: a few drops of blood while coughing this morning

anjalika400 - Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:28 pm

Hi. My husband is 33 years old . He used to smoke for almost 10 years before ore marriage and stoped smoking after marriage. He is not smoking for last 3 years and gained quite a few pounds.We are not sure it is because of quitting smoking or lack of exercise and little over eating. He leadsa real stressful work life . Lately He smoked for consequtive 3 days (3 cigarettes per day) and after 3 days he stoped smoking.I noticed on the second day he was coughing vigorously in the night while sleeping.Today he coughed very loudly in the morning and he said a few drops of blood came out while coughing(without mucus). He claims he had a feeling as if something got stuck in his throat and after getting rid of those blood drops his throat is cleared and freed out of congestions.
He got severe cough and fever 5 months back and doc prescribed some antibiotics. It was not much of help, so the doc did another check up and said he could not find any infection in his chest, probably some viral infection is there in the back and prescribed a way stronger dose of antibiotics. Apparently it helped him to get rid of that metallic sounding coughing.
Please suggest me what to do at this moment. Should I consult a family practice/internal meds doc or specialist? What specialist should I consult? What could be the possible reason for throwing a few drops of bood?

Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:19 pm

User avatar Dear Anjalika,

Coughing up blood can be because of inflammation of the lining of the bronchial tubes in the lung (breathing passages), lungs infections such as pneumonia or because of cancer.

In your husband's case, it could have been from the vigorous cough.

If coughing up blood is improving, then i don't see anything worrisome at this time. My advice is to see a pulmonologist (lung specialist) if needed.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.

|