Question: chest discomfort, and fatigue

camus - Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:03 am

I am a 20 year old female with no medical history (aside from mononeucleosis, and anxiety). I used to smoke, but recently quit. i smoked for no longer than three years, and was NOT a regular smoker; however, at parties i would chain smoke. I have been having chest discomfort in my right lung/chest for about a year. sometimes i feel it when i am still, but more often i feel it if i bend or twist a certain way. It does not seem to be affected by my breathing. Sometimes if i push down near the edge of my upper ribs it is sore, and tender. I also occasionally get a tingling sensation down the right side of my back that is in the same general area of my chest discomfort. Latley i have also been feeling light headed, and fatiuged. i have no persisten cough, and no phlem. I am worried if this is something serious like emphysema, or lung cancer? thanks for your time.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:54 pm

User avatar Dear Camus,

Usually, if there is tenderness at the site of chest pain, the source of the pain is the chest wall, meaning, the skin, the tissues under the skin, the muscles or the ribs.

Having back discomfort means that the cause is most probably muscular strain.

Emphysema is not manifested by chest pain or discomfort, it presents with shortness of breath, cough and phlegm production and wheezing and it takes years of smoking before someone develops emphysema from smoking cigarettes.

About lung cancer, it usually presents in older patients and again in patients who have a long smoking history and it can present by coughing up blood, weight loss, night sweats or chest pain if there is invasion of the chest wall.

If you are still worried, i would encourage you to go to your doctor and have a chest x-ray done. Personally, i don't think that this is something worrisome in your case.

You can try some pain relievers such as over the counter advil or aleve and the like medications and hopefully they will help.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.

|