News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Can It Be An Asthma Attack Even If Peak Flow Is Normal?

iamloco724 - Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:36 pm

im experiencing some shortness of breath started after bad allergy attack or cold not sure what it was with sneezing stuffy nose runny nose headache ear pressure that went out for like 3-4 days then the shortness of breath started once all those symptoms were gone now its been 4-5 days with the shortness of breath..at times it doesn't bother me but then i feel the need to gasp for air something like that i cant really describe it well i have no wheezing ive been sleeping fine once i finally get to sleep ive been sleeping no coughing really here and there but nothing significant.my peakflow is consitantly 450-500 when i went to the er and the dr 2 months ago they said 450 was normal for me im 21 male 120-130 lbs 5'3"-5'5" so can this be an asthma attack even though its been going on for days and my peakflow is normal from what i know and been told and it hasn't gotten any worse if not an asthma attack what can it be from what i told you.by the way i have no insurance so don't have a dr right now and ive been in the er twice this past 2 months have had 2 chest xrays 2 ekgs blood and urine tests and everything was fine
first 2-3 nights i used my xopenex inhaler one puff each time no difference then today i took 2 puffs and no difference
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:51 pm

User avatar Peak flows are not always the best measure of asthma but can be helpful in tracking symptoms. Initially my thought is that you are likely not experiencing significant asthma problems due to the fact that you still have a good peak flow and the xopenex did not help.

However, you may still having some intermittent bronchoconstriction. The other possibility is that you are experiencing severe enough symptoms that the two puffs of xopenex were not enough. This is unlikely as generally you would feel much more like an asthma attack if it was this severe (not always but mostly).

Is your Xopenex old? If it were empty or old it may not work well.

I would suggest that you use your xopenex 4-6 times per day for the next few days. If you are not getting better or if your symptoms get ANY worse you should see a doctor. Asthma really is not a disease to mess around with. Unfortunately the death rate is on the rise from asthma.

Best wishes.
 iamloco724 - Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:00 pm

my xoxpenex is brand new was only used once before this past week..the first time i used it since this was started i only took one puff then the next day one puff then i did 2 puffs then didnt use it a day then i think for the past 2 nights ive used 2 puffs or 1 last night and did one puff today each time never noticed a difference after it ..whether i do one or 2 puff i take my peak flow before and after and theres no change in flow its still 450-500 usually above the 450 mark..i personally from what i know don't know if it is asthma cause like i said my flow is good im not wheezing im not coughing constantly i cough here and there but nothing out of the ordinary.what other things do you think it could be could it just be bad chest congestion?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:58 pm

User avatar You may have a form of pneumonia known as atypical or walking pneumonia. This requires an antibiotic such as azithromycin to help clear it up. Your doctor can examine your lungs to see if you have any crackly sounds that are associated with this type of pneumonia.

Best wishes.
 iamloco724 - Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:21 pm

hi again..i went to the dr today and since i have no insurance it really wasnt the most detailed examination he checked my throat ears and listened to my chest and back he thinks i have some sort of bronchial infection says he heard chest congestion he prescribed me an antibiotic..how long do you think till i might notice a difference
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:07 am

User avatar Depending on the actual infection it can take several days to several weeks for you to begin to notice some improvement. Generally, the cough is the last thing to go away.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here