News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Tightness in Chest and lump beneath Left Clavicle

koko83neo - Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi Im a 17 year old female. I was bit bit overweight when I was a preteen but managed to lose it over the years.I am about 5'4 and weigh around 138 lbs. About 3 month ago I experienced a pain when breathing in that seemed to increase the deeper I tried to breathe. That went away a day or so later. Also at times when I breather in I notice a sort of popping noise, I dnt know whether it comes from my back or what. I have been under a lot of stress due to family issues and life at college and so have not been eating nor sleeping as much as I Should. Im March I had a bit of a cold or sinus infection and took augmentum. As I must walk to school I have had to carry heavy backpacks. This caused me to develop poor posture. I have been consiously tryingto improve that, however. Six days ago while playing with my 3 yr old brother, he accidentally threw his head back, hitting me in the sternum. Later, after examining my chest i realize that on my left chest theres a bone or lump or something that isnt there on the other side. It is firm and does not move. Its not on my breast but about 1.5 - 2 inches beneath my collar bone, not in the center of my chest but closer to it, though Im not sure that it wasnt there before i got hit. Now my chest feels tightend and breathing seems not aas deep as it should be and at times I wonder if my heart is breating too fast. What do you think is the problem?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:13 am

User avatar Your initial symptoms sound consistent with pleurisy, a condition where the lining of the lungs becomes inflamed (often do to a virus). This causes pain that is worse with deep breathing.

The lump you are describing may be a lymph node that enlarged in reaction to the illness that caused the pleurisy. If I am understanding the location properly the lump is located below the collar bone but above the breast tissue. This is the area that we refer to as the "tail" of the breast (similar to the tail of an upside down comma). This location does have lymph nodes but one must always be suspicious of lumps in this area because breast cancer is so common.

I would suggest that you see a doctor to have the lump examined (even though I think the likelihood of it being anything serious is very, very low).

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here