News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Under rib pains and need advice

sonja - Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:22 pm

I am a 45 female with a history of HEP-C Geno type 1, cancer in thyroid, uterine cancer. Thyroid removal, Hysterectomy, liver punch and 48 week treatment for the HEP. There is heart, cancer, diabetes, and high blood pressure are in the family.
I am taking no medications as of now.
I am having these very sharp pains in the middle or my ribs. At times, they are so bad I cringe. This has been going on for 2 days now. I have been quite tired for a week now and seem to have flu like symptoms. At times I have a fever. The only constant is the pain. It almost feels like pressure or bloating like is building up where the pain is. Relaxing and over the counter pain medication does not stop the pain. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? This is my 1st time using the net to seek help. Thank you for any and all advice given. I am concerned but I do not want to raise alarm in my home. If I even get the sniffles my husband panics. So I guess I am looking for advice on what it could be and is there any urgency to call my doctor. Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:03 am

User avatar I am suspicious that your pain may be due to pleurisy. It appears that you currently have a viral infection. These infections often can cause the lining of the lungs to become inflamed. This can cause very severe pain.

The characteristic of pleurisy is that the pain is often worse while taking a deep breath.

Given your past history, if the pain does not improve over the next few days I woud recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here