Question: Tight feeling in chest

hippiewitch - Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:57 pm

I am a 27 year old female and have not had any past surgeries. My father has high blood pressure and he had triple bypass surgery on his heart in '92. He also had a stroke in the past but very thankfully,he recovered from it. My Mother is in good health. I am not on any medications.

I am posting because lately I get a tight and/or heavy feeling in my chest everyday. It comes and goes and sometimes I have found that movement can trigger it as well. I have it somewhat right now actually. I am sure it is probably digestive and I have had digestive issues for a long time,mainly in the form of chronic constipation. But I haven't been getting this chronic tight feeling for a long time. I had diarrhea on and off since the 19th of last month too. That is when it started that is and there were times including once just last week that I got it again after the 19th. Based on my symptoms,does this sound like chronic indigestion or maybe reflux? If so,what would you recommend for getting rid of it so it stops coming back?

I did see a doctor on Monday of this week. I didn't like him a lot though. I mentioned the indigestion and he just told me to take tums or pepcid. I take tums all the time. He listened to my heart but didn't tell me anything was wrong. I just need to get rid of this feeling so it doesn't come back. Thank you.

Michelel
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue May 15, 2007 11:11 am

User avatar Reflux is a possibility. If it were, I would expect the Tums to help at least a little. You may want to try an acid blocker such as one of the over-the-counter medications to see if this helps more. You can ask your local pharmacist which ones they carry. An H2-blocker is what you want.

If this is not helping I would be suspicious that there is something else going on rather than or in addition to reflux. It may be that you have a bit of pleurisy. Pleurisy is when the lining of the lungs gets inflamed and can cause significant pain. Usually it is worse with deep breathing.

Also you may be having some mild asthma issues. This can be worsened by reflux.

If your pain continues I would recommend you follow up with your doctor again.

hippiewitch - Tue May 15, 2007 4:58 pm

Thanks for responding. I actually don't have asthma though. Maybe it is reflux,I don't know. My main concern at the moment actually though is that my heart beats too fast sometimes,lately everyday at some point. I usually feel fine during it other than being concerned of course. Last night I was driving home from the store and I started feeling this weird feeling in my throat and my heart started pounding. And I felt different in my chest,like something may go wrong with my heart. I had to stop before I could continue driving home. My Husband thinks it is sleep deprivation and/or not taking care of myself as he says{not exercising and he thinks I need to eat better,though I could eat much worse than I do.} I know my blood pressure has always been good at least and I don't smoke and I'm not overweight,not that you have to be I know. I'm only 27 too,but heart disease runs in my Dad's family. I was sleep deprived yesterday but not THAT sleep deprived. I don't know. If you need more info,please let me know,but based on what I've told you,what is your opinion? Thanks.

Michelle
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue May 15, 2007 9:00 pm

User avatar When you say that your heart rate is beating fast, how fast do you think it is beating? Also, does is suddenly start beating fast and suddenly stop beating fast?

If it speeds up like a light switch is turned on and stop suddenly you may have a heart rhythm known as SVT (supraventricular tachycardia). This heart rhythm can give feelings of a tight chest as you describe.

You may want to talk to your doctor about checking your heart rhythms to see if there is anything suspicious.

hippiewitch - Wed May 16, 2007 12:33 pm

I haven't counted how many times my heart beats per second when this happens but I just know that it beats too fast sometimes and it varies on how long it lasts. Sometimes it can last a few minutes or maybe 5,sometimes less. I had a physical last month but he just listened to my heart and my blood pressure was taken. I didn't tell him about my heart racing sometimes,maybe it wasn't as much of a concern to me then as it is now. Thank you.

Michelle
 hippiewitch - Wed May 16, 2007 12:39 pm

Oh and in answer to your question about my heart beating fast suddenly and stopping suddenly, it doesn't usually do that. Sometimes it will slow down pretty quickly and other times it can beat too fast for a few minutes. The chest tightness doesn't usually come with it. I usually feel fine when my heart is beating too fast. The chest tightness has come on when my heart was calm before.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 18, 2007 3:43 pm

User avatar This does make a heart rhythm such as SVT less likely. Follow up with your doctor will be important.

ap10046 - Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:28 am

Hi Michelle!
I have been perusing Doctor's Lounge for the last 6 months as I have absolutely and exactly the same symptoms as you and even paid a visit to the ER a few months ago with sharp stabbing pains in my right side mid back, so much so that I couldn't breathe.. They kept me overnight, charged me the proverbial arm and leg and discharged me saying all's well..
I am a 32 year old male and have been to the most highly recommended doctors even a thorassic surgeon and they all say everything is normal (EEG, EKG, Blood tests, etc) and nothing to worry about. But I have had more than a few sleepless nights about this with a bottle of asprin.."just in case". It is driving me nuts. I don't knowwhat to do but subconciously it is affecting my day to day life.
Have you had any luck?
Regards
Areez
 hippiewitch - Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:26 pm

I'm so sorry about what you're going thru. I had an ekg too an luckily,it's fine. My issues are definitely digestive. I still get a tight or heavy feeling in my chest though and this breathy type feeling in my throat. I have ear issues too.

Michelle

|