Question: 29 yo male with chest pain in various locations.

gridlocked - Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:35 pm

Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right area. I'd really appreciate any advice that can be given.

About 5 months ago I started to notice a strange pain in the right side of my chest. It was roughly under the lowest rib. The pain is hard to describe, it feels like a raw pain, not intense, but noticeable. Over time the pain has become more apparent and is the constantly. Further to this, I know have a sharper pain to the left of my chest, approximately under my second rib and similar pain just below my sternum. Frequently I also have sharp stinging pains in both sides just above the waste. This pain lasts for a few hours at a time and is accompanied by sensitivity in the skin in the area of the pain. Occasionally I can also feel a dull pain in my back, on the right hand side, just below the ribs.

I have had the symptoms of IBS for over a year now, but this seems to be separate, having no affect on the chest pains. Other than this, I don't seem to have any other symptoms. I feel reasonably healthy, don't feel fatigued and have no cough or anything similar.

I have moved around between a few cities recently, so trying to see doctors has been a bit awkward. The initial doctor a saw a few months ago thought that it may be stomach related and prescribed me with proton pump inhibitors. These did seem to ease my IBS symptoms, but had no affect on the chest pain. I saw a second doctor a month later and she thought that it may be chondritis and suggested taking Ibuprofen, but this had no affect. I saw a third doctor in a different city. He sent me for a frontal chest x-ray, which came back clear. I have since moved again and have arranged an appointment with a new doctor, but unfortunately the earliest I can see him is in 2 weeks.

The reason I am posting here is because I am going on a 5 day adventure sports course next week which is is a compulsory part of my recently started PhD. I'm really looking forward to the trip, but am a bit concerned that I may be putting myself at risk. Stretching and moderate exercise does aggravate the pain slightly, but not to any great extent. It just becomes a bit more apparent, but never intensely painful.

So, I apologise that I have rambled on here at the risk of sounding like a hypochondriac (I'm not). As I said, any advice would be very much welcomed. Perhaps I am just looking for peace of mind.

Thankyou in advance,

Andy :)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue May 22, 2007 7:22 pm

User avatar The things your previous doctors have suspected would be the first things I would have thought of also. Since they have not gotten better with appropriate treatments, I would suspect the possibility of some ongoing muscle inflammation or irritation. Another possibility would be pleurisy (inflammation of the lining of the lungs) although this would normally respond to ibuprofen that was used for costochondritis.

You may want to consider seeing a physical therapist to see if some stretching excercises specifically targeted at the painful areas may help alleviate your pain.

Follow up with your doctor is also important.

|