Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Pleuracy

jacluc - Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:44 pm

I am a 33 year old female. Approximately 2 months ago I got sick with a sore throat, swollen glands, cough, just the basic URI. But after a month the cough was still lingering and pretty bad so I went to my doctor who said my lungs were clear but felt that I had a sinus infection and was coughing from the post nasal drip. So I was put on Augmenten for 10 days but the cough never went away. About a week after the completion of the Augmenten the doctor put me on a cough medicine with codine and while it helped some the cough just persisted. Last week I noticed what felt like movement in my back under my right lung when I breathed in or coughed and by the next day the movement turned into a sharp pain. Of course I thought I must have pulled a muscle from coughing so hard and ignored it. Well within a few days the pain spread to under my right breast, just opposite to where the back pain is. I found it odd for the pain of a pulled muscle to spread so I went back to the doctor. He listened to my chest and my back and said that based on the way my right lung sounds as opposed to the left he would say pneumonia except for the fact that I have no fever and feel relatively well except for the pain. An x ray ruled out pneumonia. The doctor did say he suspected pleuracy. The pain is severe upon breathing in, coughing, and moving. Breathing is extremely labored while lying down and the pain increases. I spoke with the doctor today and he said that he cannot explain why I am still in so much pain which of course makes me more concerned. Does this sound like pleuracy? Thanks in advance for any help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:58 pm

User avatar It definitely could be pleurisy and it sounds like your doctor is correct. Treating the underlying cause of infection is the best course of action, though it may be caused by a virus which your body will need to get rid of without the help of antibiotics. Keep in touch with the doctor, especially if you develop fever, shortness of breath or other symptoms that might indicate further infection. Good luck.
 jacluc - Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:16 am

Thank you for the quick response. Can you please tell me about how long pleuracy usually lasts? It has almost been 2 weeks and while my chest pain may be lessening slightly, my back pain is still bad and I now have pain on my right side. Thanks for the help.

|