Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: 4 YR Old exposed to active TB

hehealedme - Wed May 02, 2007 7:46 pm

My 4 yr old was recently exposed to active TB. My brother seems to have contracted TB on his last trip to India in Janurary. My 4yr old son just had a chest xray and the radiologist said he'd found "central peribroncheal thickening without focal consolodation". Could you explain what this means? I do understand that no mass was found, but I'm still concerened. The Health department is suggesting that we put him on medication. He is not showing any symptoms. Do you think medication would be premature?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 03, 2007 2:29 am

User avatar Treatment for TB generally falls into two categories: treatment for active disease which is generally 3 to 4 drugs for 6 months and latent disease (no active disease but conversion to positive in the skin test) which is generally treated for 9 months with a single drug.

In your child's case, if the skin test is positive he should most definitely be treated. If it is negative, given his age it is likely that most physicians would recommend treating him at least until the skin test is repeated in about 3 months. Some would recommend treating for the full 9 months due to a small chance that his immune system may not be developed enough yet to give a positive skin test.

Follow up with the health department is crucial in cases that involve TB.

|