Question: Weezing when upper body twisted

squiggly09 - Wed May 02, 2007 11:31 pm

I am a 20 year old female, no history of any serious medical problems, non smoker in excellent physical health. I noticed a few days ago while I was doing some kickboxing moves that when I twist my upper body from right to left, air is forced in and out of my lungs and makes a weezing noise. I noticed this when I was throwing right and left jabs. I havnt noticed this in the past when doing similar routines. I have no other symptoms such as cough, short breath, etc. This doesnt really effect me much other than it created an uncomfortable sensation (tickling almost) in my throat, and I am worried that it might be a sign of a more serious problem.
A month ago I worked for a few days in a barn that is used to house elephants that had been exposed to Tuberculosis, but I was careful to wear a TB mask during the time. I have no other symptoms of TB as of right now, but was concerned that these 2 things may be related. Should I be concerned?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 03, 2007 1:47 am

User avatar During my training one of my mentors used to say "not all that wheezes is asthma".

Other possible causes are what we term rings and slings. These occur when a blood vessel or other structure branches across the trachea and compresses it a little. It may be that when you are turning the trachea is compressed a little more causing your wheezing.

I would suggest that you discuss your symptoms with your doctor. From your description I do not think this is something that is endangering you so you need to go the ER immediately. I would recommend having it evaluated at some point though.

|