Question: Chest pain that I do not believe is GERD

MamaKK - Sat May 12, 2007 10:12 am

Mild pressure in chest but no trouble breathing, walking, climbing stairs, exercising, etc. EKG was normal and my doctor prescribed Nexium. Have been taking it for 5 days and symptoms may be somewhat better but still there. As much as I trust my primary physician, I do not believe that GERD is the problem, so I am trying to think of other symptoms that may be related?

For several months, I occasionally wake up with pain in my midback -- never in my lower back. During the day it goes away.

Three weeks ago, I was sleeping on my right side and awoke with pain where my ribs attach to my sternum behind my right breast. As I turned onto my back, the pain was stabbing, but stopped as soon as I lay flat on my back. I had done the chest press that day at the gym, so I dismissed it. It happened again a couple of days later. 10 days ago, the chest pressure described above began. Now the pressure that seemed to be around my heart has stopped and is between my ribs near the sternum and behind my right breast. My back is hurting in exactly the same lateral line.

I am a 54 year old female, quite slim and very healthy. I have been working with a trainer 3x weekly for the past 17 months. I also do 20 minutes 3x a week on the treadmill or bicycle.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun May 13, 2007 5:43 am

User avatar Hi MamaKK,
Your symptoms do not seem to indicate a cardiac origin. Gerd can cause numerous symptoms. However, aside from that fact, have you had an evaluation of your gallbladder to rule out any type of dysfunction?

|