News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: CHEST PAIN ONLY AT NIGHT ''

MELISSA555 - Thu May 17, 2007 9:35 am

Hi. First let me start by saying this is a SUPER form & am thankfull for it. Ok. I am a 44 year old male with NO history of HEART trouble in my family. Over the past month i have been getting a TIGHTING & numbing of my left arm during my time of retiring for the night. It happens about a hour or so into my resting. I cannot get a DEEP sleep started at all. Then i will raise up & sit on the edge of the bed & feel somewhat relief. I am so so tired during the day do to this. I had been on ATIVAN due to ANIXTY & taking it in the morning.. But now i HAVE to reach for it at night due to this chest trouble.. After i take it in about a 45 min span i feel a BIG difference in pressure & am in fact able to close my eyes and grab whatever sleep i can. It does not happen during my excersie or swimming. I just wnat to throw this at ya as i may be way off but since i really ONLY feal it at it's STRONGEST & most uncomfertable time during lying down & ready for sleep could it have anything to do with my stomach or something along that line.? Again i say this only due to it being at it's MAX during my lying down.. Any info would be DEEPLY DEEPLY apperictaed as i TRUELLY am EXTREAMLY scared.... Thank You.'
 Marceline F, RN - Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:52 am

User avatar Dear MELISSA555,
Based on the information you presented in your post I tend to agree that it is very possible that your chest pain is related to your GI (Gastrointestinal) system. GERD (GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease) very often causes chest pain that leads the sufferer to wonder if he has a heart problem. Since this seems to occur only at night when you are lying down, it is possible that stomach acids can irritate the distal part of your esophagus (food "pipe") and cause great pain under your sternum (breast bone). Have you tried taking any antacids? There are many type now available OTC (over the counter) such as Pepcid (famotidine), Zantac (ranitidine), Mylanta, Tums, etc. It might help you to ask your pharmacist what he/she would recommend. If you have a primary care physician, it would also be a good idea to talk about your concern with him/her. If all else fails, or you do not have a primary care doctor - the local urgent care center or emergency room may be able to assist you.
 MELISSA555 - Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:41 am

Thank You VERY VERY much for your reply'
 Marceline F, RN - Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:08 am

User avatar Dear Melissa555,
Glad we could help ! Thanks for your feedback!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here