Forum Name: Asthma

Question: astma attack unlike no other

rachael1982 - Thu May 17, 2007 2:35 pm

25 yr old female I have been dianosed with astma 5 months ago after a battle with bronnchitits its proving difficulit for me, i also suffer from svt which i don't take meds for anymore, i am on flovent 110 mcg 2 times daily and albuterol rescue inhailer as need which i need like 3 times a day and also a nebulizer that i take as need that i need like one a week my asthma is not under control becuse its new still and im learning how to control it. No one in my family has asthma and the pulomonologist says that it must be a combination of adult onset astma the weather. They don't actually know why i have it just that i do and my pulmonary lung function test look good i test at mainly 91 percent but had air trapping and and evidence of tiny air sacs dying. Im not convinced of anything anymore becuase on min its only in one section of my lung then in my upper airway and the dr even heard a palpable thril in my left lung that you could hear across the room. So this has all been difficult. Well i had another asthma attack this time was different it started so i took my resue inhailer the albuterol and it didnt get better i got dizzy and my hands went tinggily, so my work called and the ambulance came and began taking me to the hospital while in the ambulance they gave me a nebulizer treatment and i got really sleepy at that point i could breath but my hands were still numb so i looked down and my hands were rock hard and stiff and i couldnt move them my face was mumb and my feet were also, they tried getting a line in but couldnt the paramedic asked me if i ever had a stoke becuase of this, he got nervous and rushed me to the er, the doctor came in an told me that i hyperventalated and thats why it happened i don't remember doing that, he never ran any test and sent me home with just telling me to control my astma better. Is this what really happened my hands and my face often swell and im not convinced i hyperventilated. Is there any other reason for this.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:05 pm

User avatar There may actually be a link between the asthma and hyperventilation in your case. It may be that your severe asthma was flaring causing you to become agitated and hyperventilate.

Your asthma appears to be in the category of severe persistent asthma, given that you are needing to use albuterol multiple times per day (essentially continuous symptoms). As such, it is appropriate for you to be using a medication called advair which is a combination of fluticasone (found in flovent) and salmeterol (a long-acting beta-agonist, a longer acting cousin of albeterol). Also, I would recommend that you see an allergist to see if you may have some allergic trigger to your asthma. You may also benefit from a leukotriene inhibitor (such as singulair).

Asthma can be life threatening in severe cases so it is important to get this under control. Control means that you are using your albuterol no more than 1-2 X per week (with a better goal of 1-2 times per month).

Best wishes. Follow up with your pulmonologist is important.

|