Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: pneumonia - in 3rd world country-pls help my brother

dev - Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:44 am

Subject: pneumonia - can someone help an ailing brother who lived in South America? -need some advice.
Hello room,

I am writing on behalf of a an eldest brother who is 65 years ol last month he suffered from pneumonia and was hospitalized for 1 1/2 week- his lungs was drained - but when he went home after his stay, he developed a fever- this fever never went away. He is going for more test and they suspect T.B. The lungs was x-ray and it shows some scars. not sure.
He lived in south america - where the medical care is not that great- and i am here to ask some advice from you all -
Can pneumonia be so complicated and why?
IS there any medication - that i can suggest to his doctor down there.
Why is he developing a fever? this is serious-and there are complication eg., the constant fever.

My brother means so much to me - and he was never sick in his whole life - and we are all scared that there might be more complication of his lungs - is this true?
What can his doctor do - any recommendation will be helpful.
I can ask his doctor many question but i don't know what to ask - that is why i am asking a doctor in this forum - so that i can be better equipped to ask.
I am wondering if i can buy his medication and sent it to his doctor down in south america? is that possible? Can he travelled?
I would like for him to come here and be with me so that i can gave him the treatment he deserve.

What can i do at this moment - i am so saddend by his sickness - he means everything to me.
I am wondering if peneumonia can be so serious- i know in the 30's many people died from this sickness - but not today- so what can we do? I know there are good antibiotic - but i do not know if he get the latest antibiotic and i wondering wht you will recommend.
Can the doctor prescribed it for him and i will get it for him in Canada?
Oh please can someone help or suggest something - or advice me on what to ask so that i can tell you.
I thank god for technology but i feel sadden that he would not be able to get proper treatment. Why must pneumonia be so complicated.
He took the antibiotic and was fed intraveniously. After 2 -3 weeks of discharged from hospital - he still get this fever and that drained him so much. Why is the fever and what can be wrong? does this mean the infection is still in his lungs?

please help me. god bless.
waiting to hear from you.
My brother is in south america and the medical condition is not that great- we all know that.

regards,
dev
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:24 pm

User avatar Dear Dev,

i hope that your brother is feeling ok now.

Fever usually points to an infection whether bacterial, fungal, viral or parasitic. There are some non-infectious causes of fever as well.

Pneumonia can prove fatal if not treated.

After pneumonia, the most common cause of persistent fever is most probably infected fluid collecting in the space around the lungs. Another cause can be developing an abcess in the lung where the pneumonia was. Treatment of infected fluid collection around the lung is drainage by a chest tube placement together with antibiotics.

When a fever occurs, it is always a good thing to obtain cultures from the blood, urine and sputum and start broad spectrum antibiotics awaiting the culture results. Once the cultures results come back, antibiotic are switched to the results of the cultures and the sensitivities of the bacteria to the antibiotics.

i am not sure about malaria in south america but i think it can be a possibility.

|