Question: Sharp Stabbing Pain?

Cesiri - Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:21 pm

I keep getting this sharp stabbing like pain on the right side of my chest that shoots through my right breast. It is very painful when it happens and I have been having it occur for about 4 days now. I have had it happen before a couple times in the past, but never stays as long as it has now. Any ideas on what this could be? Should I be worried?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:47 am

User avatar There are a few possibilities for stabbing type chest pain. Probably one of the most common causes is pleurisy. Pleurisy is inflammation of the lining of the lungs and chest wall. It typically can produce very sharp pain that is worse with deep breathing.

Costochondritis is also possible. This is inflammation of the rib where it becomes cartilage instead of bone. This is characterized by pain that is reproduced by pushing on the affected rib.

Both are generally quite responsive to non steroidal anti-inflammatory medications.

If the pain persists I would recommend that you see your doctor.

|