News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Long Lasting Cough with various symptoms

affry - Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:34 am

I am a 25 year old female who occasionally smokes marijuana mixed with tobacco.

I have had a cough on and off for quite some time now ( a few months) with the following symptoms which have come and gone:
deep cough with clear mucus with brown specs, moderately thick light yellow mucus.

I haven't smoked at all for a little over a week now and I will not be smoking for the remainder of this month for sure. I am in a much drier climate than I am used to and will stay in that climate until the end of the month. Recently i have been experiencing the following symptoms: dark yellow mucus (only in the morning), dry and itchy/tickling throat, short coughing spells, long periods in between without coughing, light sore throat, still clear mucus with little brown specs, lighlty swollen lymphnodes in neck, occasional stuffy nose.

I think it all started with a cold or flu a couple of months ago. I have NOT experienced other cold or flu like symptoms for quite some time now other than a stuffy nose which could also be related to the dry climate or allergies. I have not yet been to a doctor because I kept hoping it would go away. I try to avoid medication whenever possible.

Could someone please give me tips on what this could be and if there is anything I can/or need to do about it. Any suggestions for natural/herbal remedies would also be greatly appreciated.
 Marceline F, RN - Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:34 am

User avatar Dear Affry,
Of the information you provided, the areas that trigger some concern for me on your behalf are the following:
1. The symptoms have been there for a couple months.
2. You state you note mildly swollen lymph nodes.
3. The mucus is yellow.
4. The mucus contains brown specs.
You could be fighting an infection, but it would take a doctor to diagnose and then prescribe the right antibiotics. I am particularly concerned about the brown specs. This could be old blood. You may wish to visit the local ER where they would do tests that might include a chest xray, and check your breathing status as well. Sometimes waiting to see if something will clear on its own can lead to further complications. I think it would be in your best interest to have a doctor evaluate your symptoms, and not to wait til the end of the month.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here