Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Chest Tightness and extreme coughing with vomit

Samuelweekley - Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:05 pm

My name is Sam Weekley. I am a 28 yr. old male, no recent illnesses, severe lower back injury a few months ago, but things are on the mend there. Family history of bronchitis, and sinus. I also take medications for Bipolar: Cymbalta and Provigil as well as multi and Vitamin C.

Recently I started taking Hydroxycut. I knew the risks going in, but, at the time speeding up the diet process was more important. A couple of days ago, I began coughing, slowly and today, my coughing is severe, and stents can last for as long as a minute solid or so; while coughing, vomit and blood (very minimal) comes out along with it. As I mentioned in the Subject line, my chest is very tight all of a sudden. Could the Caffine doses in the stimulators cause anything like this?

Too answer question 2 for you, yes, I am a smoker; about a pack every two days, sometimes 3, but, no more no less.

It's been lasting for about two days now.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:08 pm

User avatar It is possible that the caffeine in the diet medicine is adding to your symptoms. It is also possible that you have a lung infection such as pneumonia. There is a very small chance that your heart is having some trouble from the medicine as well. If so, it could cause blood back up in the lungs leading to your symptoms.

If you have a history of asthma the caffeine can exacerbate asthma quite a bit.

I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation and probably a chest x-ray.

|